Chapter 12.2

It took four hours to get to the small town that we would take a passenger train from. Kai already had four tickets for an express train back to the capitol, a private compartment for us. As I took my seat, Vicki shoved the gear bags overhead and sat across from me. “Remember, you’re Nick’s girlfriend, you need to be seen with him as much as possible,” she explained. “Hold his hand, lean on his arm, kiss him on the check, you know, relationship stuff.”

“Gee, thanks, because I have so much experience with that,” I sneered.

“Nick,” Vicki said looking to him. “You’re going to have to wear the pants in your relationship with Tawny.”

“So that means she’s wearing nothing?” he asked enthusiastically. I kicked at his shin, a blow he narrowly dodged. “Hey! Those things are metal, remember?”

“Hard to forget, dear,” I said.

Nick plopped down in the seat next to me and smiled, putting his arm around my shoulder. “We’re going to have so much fun.”

“We might be a stretch,” I said.

“You’ll warm up to me,” he said. “Everyone does.”

“I will never warm up to you that way,” I said slipping out from under his arm.

“Is that a challenge?” he asked.

"No, it’s a promise,” I said.

“Challenge accepted,” he said.

Vicki shook her head as Kai took a seat next to her. “We’ve created a monster,” she said. Kai remained silent, looking out the window. His gaze would flick from person to person on the platform.

“No Dead Heads in the crowd, a few military personnel but no one high ranking or heavily armed,” Nick said. “Strange.”

Kai nodded.

A man in a uniform knocked on the compartment door and Kai stood and opened the door.

“Tickets?” the man asked.

“Why is that strange?” I asked.

“A passenger train on the nearest track was hijacked by the resistance a few days ago, didn’t you hear?” Vicki said, “This train should be heavily guarded. What if they come after us! They’ll kill us!”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure there are military officers in plain clothes on the train,” Nick said. “Right?” He looked at the train official who now had the four tickets in hand.

The man gave a forced smile. “Do not worry, sir. You and your daughter are perfectly safe. We employ some of the best security passenger lines can have and treat our veterans very well. We are proud that you have served our country in this war,” he said dipping his head in our direction.

Daughter? Nick doesn’t have a…wait a second... “I’m not his daughter!” I cried, feeling my cheeks warm up.

“So sorry, miss,” he said. “Enjoy your trip.”

Kai resumed his seat and stared out the window.

“I don’t even look anything like him!” I argued.

“You two make such a cute couple,” Vicki smiled.

“No! We don’t!” I snapped.

Nick reached over and grabbed me. He pulled me down into his chest, wrapping his arms around me. “But sweetie, you’re adorable!” he cooed.

“Lemme go!” I cried, squirming in his grasp. He clung to me tightly, limiting my movement with ease. “Lemme go, you big oaf!”

 “You two, behave,” Kai said. “Nick, that’s enough, let her go.” He didn’t shout or raise his voice, but it felt like I’d been punch in the chest. It wasn’t a hinted suggestion or polite recommendation, it was an order.

Nick released me in an instant, sliding away and shoving his hands into his pockets. A chill seeped into my chest as his body heat left me, causing goose bumps to break out across my skin. I leaned against the wall, rubbing my arms as we began to pull out of the station.

I stood up and looked at Kai. “Do you have any kredit? I want to go get a drink.”

He looked at me without moving his head before returning his attention to the scenery outside the train.

“Are we supposed to go the entire train ride back to the capitol without food or water?” I asked.

He maintained his silence.

“Nick, dearest, I would feel so much more comfortable if I could see this top shelf security for myself,” I said extending my hand down to him. “Care to join me?”

Nick looked over to Kai before shrugging.

“Fine, I’ll go by myself.” I opened the door and stepped out into the corridor, closing it behind me without any protest. I turned left and started walking down the train, away from the engine.