Chapter 5: Dinner with Family

As soon as we arrived home, we went directly to our rooms and change. After I'm done, I went to the dining room to set up the table while Tyler went to the kitchen to start cooking. An hour after, I heard my parent's car pulling up the driveway.

"Hey kids, we're home!" Mom shouted.

"Hi, mom, dad. How was work?" I asked my parents as I approached them and kissed their cheeks.

"I won another case today." Mom grinned.

"Since, when have you ever lost a case sweetheart?" My dad asked mom lovingly. Mom looked at him tenderly and smiled.

"Ew guys, knock it off. Keep it PG." Tyler commented as he went up to our parents to greet them also. We all laughed at him.

"Someday son, you will know what it feels like and I assure you there will be lots of loving in between," Dad said while wriggling his eyebrows at us.

"Dad!" Tyler and I both shouted.

Our parents laughed and asked, "So, what's for dinner?"

"I cooked your favorite salmon dish with oyster sauce, vegetables, and mashed potatoes," Tyler answered.

"Mm... Yum Yum." Dad answered.

"We'll wash up first." Mom said and proceeded towards their room.

Tyler went back to the kitchen to get the salad and dessert while I get my parents favorite wine to celebrate mom's success.

After 15 minutes my parents went down towards the dining room and we took to our respective seats.

"So, how was your first day of school?" Dad asked.

"It was great. I found new friends, applied for the cheerleading team, the softball team, and the student body." I answered.

"Me too. Some of my friends are siblings with Chris's friends so we're pretty much hanging out in the same crowd." Tyler said.

"Did you apply for the football team?" Dad asked.

"Yes, as well as the student body," Tyler answered.

"When is the try-outs?" Mom asked.

"This coming Friday," Tyler answered.

"How about you Christina?" Dad asked.

"My try-outs for cheerleading is this Wednesday while the softball team is this Friday," I answered

As we talked throughout dinner, I looked at my family and can't help but feel blessed. My parents are very supportive of our activities and as much as they are busy with work, they try to balance it out. During Christmas holidays, we always spend it in Texas with our grandparents' house. My mom's younger brother and his family are currently staying with them so that he can continue to look after the ranch. Since the ranch land is big, my mom asked them to build their own house within the area so that it would be easier for Uncle Jim to manage their cattle business. Also, she would feel at ease knowing that my uncle lives close to our grandparents and can always look after them. Sometimes, we also spend the long holiday weekends at Lake Providence. My dad grew up there and after his parents died, he inherited the lake house.

You might probably think that my family is perfect; we're not. There are times that my parents fight, but nothing they cannot handle. There are also instances when our parents are disappointed with us. I think it is kind of expected. We all have our differences, but what I like the most about our family is that we always talk it out. Our parents wanted us to be open to them and as much as possible they don't want secrets. They always tell us that "no matter how bad it is, we shouldn't keep it from them or else it might worsen the situation." Hence, the reason why we are open to them about school and our activities and sometimes our parents shares their work experiences too.

As I was looking at my family, my mom turned towards me, reach over the table and squeeze my hand. She always seems to know what I'm thinking about. I smiled at her and mouthed "I love you". She nodded her head and did the same.

"Hey, Dad?" Tyler asked hesitantly and we all looked at him.

"Yes, son?" Dad replied.

"I was wondering if it would be okay with you to borrow the jeep this coming weekend. My friends and I heard about the carnival next town and we wanted to go." He asked.

"That is not a problem, but I wanted to meet these friends of yours. Also, you Christina. I want to know who these people are. It's not that I do not trust both your judgment. It's too soon and you just transferred." Dad answered.

"Why don't you invite all of them for dinner on Wednesday?" Mom said.

"Mom, I have cheerleading tryouts on Wednesday. I won't have the time to cook." I answered.

"That's okay. I'll be the one to do the cooking. I'll leave early from work and I'll ask Sarah to help us out as well." Mom replied.

"Okay, mom." Tyler and I answered.