Chapter 9

The next day, an alarm rang. Wake up call..."Oh God! What time is it?" It was 8:00. Oh shoot! "Pauline! Get up! We have an hour! We can't miss class on our first day!" I said. She got up. I went in to brush. I take less time to get ready. By the time I got ready, she's packed our bags - the ones we took to class. She got ready & left for the bus. We were right on time. The bus arrived & we got in. We reached class on time. "Good grief! That was close!" I said. "Ya.. Thought we'd have to walk all the way! Phew!" Pauline said. We got into class & sat down. There was this other guy. Broody, brown eyes, dark hair, fair complexion, Thin, tall, torn jeans & a T-shirt. "Who's he? He looks new." I said. We knew because we'd met a few of our seniors & knew all our classmates. "Ya.. He's new. Torturous past. Switched 4 foster homes. Name's Daniel Salvatore. He tends to be alone." Pauline said. I raised my eyebrow & gave a how-the-hell-do- you-know? look. "What?! I talk to people. They said there was a new guy. I like to be updated on the new things that happen here." She said. "Okay. But why didn't you tell me? I mean, the guy is hot!" I said. And that's when the teacher entered. He was stern faced & in a suit. The strict teacher. God! I despised strict teachers. I mean, we couldn't do anything without their permission. I took out my book - Maths class. The new guy, Daniel, was looking at us. I gave him a look-up-front look.

There was this other guy. Broody, brown eyes, dark hair, fair complexion, Thin, tall, torn jeans & a T-shirt. "Who's he? He looks new." I said. We knew because we'd met a few of our seniors & knew all our classmates. "Ya.. He's new. Torturous past. Switched 4 foster homes. Name's Daniel Salvatore. He tends to be alone." Pauline said. I raised my eyebrow & gave a how-the-hell-do- you-know? look. "What?! I talk to people. They said there was a new guy. I like to be updated on the new things that happen here." She said. "Okay. But why didn't you tell me? I mean, the guy is hot!" I said. And that's when the teacher entered. He was stern faced & in a suit. The strict teacher. God! I despised strict teachers. I mean, we couldn't do anything without their permission. I took out my book - Maths class. The new guy, Daniel, was looking at us. I gave him a look-up-front gesture. I didn't want to get caught doing something wrong. He didn't look ahead. Gazing contest. Finally, he looked away and smiled a crooked smile. And turned back. I raised my eyebrow & gave him the yeah-I-won look... He smiled & turned ahead. I could see each girl was looking at him like he was gold or treasure. Like he was an angel sent down from heaven & stuff. The teacher had started writing stuff on the board. I copied it as fast as I could. It was bad. My handwriting. I scribbled. Literally. I finished copying it in time. Had to talk to Faye after college on Skype. It would be fun. It had been four days since we last talked. I'm sure she'd pass Daniel as a normal guy. She never found the guys we find cute, cute. I have no idea why! She's so.. Faye. The bell rang & I packed my bags & left class. I was out of class looking for Pauline. I gestured her to get out soon. We would be late for the next class. This Daniel guy came & stood next to me. He said "Hi! Daniel Salvatore. The currently & most likely always to be awesome & hot guy." Okay.. Yeah. This guy was awesome. One of a kind. I would normally say "Yeah.. Nice to meet you. I'm Emily Keene. Freshman." But I instead said "So..?" & Pauline got out & we left to our humanities class. Latin & Greek. "So, honey, you're supposed to love me.. I'm the new guy. Show some love." He said in my ear. Seriously, I almost dropped my books because I thought he'd leave us alone.

"Sorry. Short on love. Maybe you'll find it in the medical shop or grocery. Get somebody your own type. I'd usually say nice meeting you. But it isn't so nice. You see, unlike you, we happen to be busy people with actual work. Do us a favor & leave us alone!" I said. Pauline said "Yeah.. What she said." What? When did she start taking sides? Ok... Plus she wasn't talking much today. "Ouch, ladies! You hurt my feelings! I'm going to cry!" He said in a fake sad voice as we entered the class & found our seats. "Please! Get over yourself! Do yourself a favor & stay away from us." I said. God! I didn't want him to stay away. I swear the other girls were swooning each time he breathed. And so was I. Not each time he breathed. But sometimes. I didn't want to get hurt. Again. Tony had done enough damage already. Thanks to him, I found it difficult to trust people.