Light At The End Of The Tunnel

"So, explain it again, I'm not quite grasping the concept." Steve pleaded, rubbing his face.

"Well, I guess we can compare it to hypnosis." Shuri began. "You use certain words to implant the thought or action, and other words to reverse it. We are going to use extensive psychotherapy along with new technology to do the same with Bucky. It's going to push him mentally to the breaking point, but it should do the trick. It will reverse the effects of his programming, making the trigger words ineffective." Shuri babbled, with everyone else watching her like she was speaking a different language.

Shuri groaned, "It will work, just trust me. But first, we have to wake him up."

Gemma perked up, and said, "Okay, I like this plan. I'm skeptical, but I like it."

"Alright, we are going to wake him, and immediately start him on the therapy. You will have ten minutes with him before we start." Shuri explained, glancing at each of them knowingly.

"We got it. Ten minutes." Steve repeated.

"Alright, let's do this." Shuri exclaimed. "I'm tired of watching Gemma mope around my lab."

Nat chuckled, patting Gemma on the shoulder as she addressed Shuri, "She's haunting the place, is she."

Shuri scoffed, "Like a sad little ghost. It's insufferable..." She grinned at Gemma.

"I'm right here..." Gemma groaned as she shoved the women and started towards the lab.
----

Through the rest of the afternoon, Shuri and her team coaxed Bucky out of his cryo. It was a miserably long process. Nat had convinced Steve to take a quick walk, having been assured they would have time. So, Gemma watched them thaw Bucky alone.

Just when Gemma stood up to stretch, Bucky sat up, and yelled, flailing his arm. Gemma stood at his feet, and attempting to draw his attention. She grabbed his ankles, and tried to stay clear of his hand. Upon her touch, Bucky stiffened, and stared at Gemma.

He focused on her, and chuckled, "Gemma? Gem, it's you."

She grinned, and rushed up to him, pulling him into a kiss. He chuckled into her lips, but kissed her back, running his fingers through her hair. It was like they had never been apart. Just as they were losing their breath, someone coughed, making them separate, and seek out the culprit.

They locked eyes with Nat and Steve, each grinning obnoxiously. Gemma stepped back, giving them space to greet Bucky. Steve and Bucky hugged like awkward siblings, making Nat and Gemma burst into laughter. Steve let him go, glancing at the women with an annoyed smile. Nat stepped around him, and gave Bucky a gentle hug, and a swift peck on the cheek.

Gemma watched them with a sad smile. She had never seen them so happy. She didn't know how much he had meant to them. Even after Nat had fought Bucky the year prior.

As Gemma watched them, unfocused, Bucky cleared his throat, drawing Gemma's attention back to the moment.

"Hey Steve, Nat, can you give us a moment?" Bucky asked, smiling at them.

They left without a word, leaving Bucky and Gemma staring at each other. Gemma quirked an eyebrow, unrelenting. She didn't know where this was going, and she was not going to start.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong, or should I guess?" Bucky quipped, reaching for Gemma's hand.

Sighing, she sat on the bed beside him, taking his hand.

Gemma muttered, "You know me too well. It's almost annoying." She glanced up at him, before focusing back on his hand, turning it over in her hands. "It's no big deal. I just, I was not a fan of our time apart. It felt like you were never going to wake up, and I would never see you again. It was not my idea of a good time is all."