Early Mornings

Walking through the market near their apartment, Bucky and Gemma looked through the odds and ends being sold there. It was a crisp morning, one of the nicest it had been in months. It was like a godsent for the couple, after all the time Bucky spent in hiding. Anyone would be in need of some fresh air after a year of staying hidden away, out of sight.

Grinning at Bucky, Gemma spun his cap around and pecked him on the cheek. It was high time they had some fun that didn't include the grueling physical training Bucky insisted upon. Not that they didn't enjoy it, but some time among people was just what they needed.

As they approached a small produce stand, Gemma glanced at her watch, groaning, "Damn, it's time for me to head into the office... but, I really don't want to go!"

Bucky chuckled as he ran his fingertips across her cheek. "Darlin', I know, I'm way better than work, but one of us has to live a semi normal life. Get going, and I'll get you a surprise for later, okay?"

Gemma laughed, spinning his hat back around, pulling it over his eyes. "It better be good!" She gave him a swift kiss and started away, "I Love you, and I'll see you tonight. Oh, and don't forget the plums."

Bucky muttered, "I love you. See you soon."

She watched him over her shoulder, until the crowd swallowed him up. Reluctantly, she turned her attention toward the hustling courtyard before her. It made her uneasy leaving him, but it was on an all new level, considering it had been months since he had left the apartment in the beautiful light of day.

Gemma jogged through the streets on her way to work, as she did every morning. That particular day, there was a high volume of traffic, many speaking of a bombing in Vienna. She slowed, trying to sort out the details, when she caught sight of the newspaper. There on the front page, was a photo of Bucky Barnes. She growled as she read the headline, realizing they were blaming him for the death of over a dozen people, including the king of Wakanda. She knew the name from some work she was doing. Losing the king would create an uproar.

She dropped the paper, and turned tail, running back towards her apartment. Upon reaching the bottom step of the staircase, she spotted a group of men dressed in SWAT gear coming in the back entrance. She peeled off her high heels, and launched up the stairs, taking them three at a time. She reached the top in seconds, and yanked open the door to her shared apartment with a wanted man.

Running into the apartment, she came in on Bucky sizing up none other than Captain America. They both turned on her, ready to attack. Bucky jumped in front of Steve, and pushed him back, before approaching Gemma. He was visibly nervous and maybe slightly agitated.

She groaned, "When you said you had a surprise for me, I wasn't expecting Captain America."

"Gem, you were supposed to be on your way to work! You're not supposed to be here, it's not safe, even for you." Bucky scolded, as he took her in his arms.

She pulled away, and glanced at Steve before announcing, "I know, it doesn't matter now. There is a whole team of officers downstairs. They are currently talking over how to take you in, dead or alive. The newspaper says you bombed a building in Vienna. I know that's a lie, so tell me. What the hell is going on?!"

"It's a mistake. We can talk about it later, right now, we need to get out of here." He turned to Steve as he put his hand over his ear.

"We've got inbound!" Steve yelled, just as a flashbang grenade broke through the kitchen window.

Bucky struck it out of the air, and Steve covered it with his shield. It exploded under its vibranium blasting cap, leaving a circular burn mark on the floor. Gemma huffed and stood at the ready, watching the front door. She was not going to let the men have all the fun. Bucky groaned, and pushed Gemma toward the bathroom.