31) Bombs Bursting in Air

Peter turns to Michelle with a pair of wide eyes filled with worry. "Get yourself somewhere safe" he stressed, squeezing her hand. There was no way he was going to let her get harmed in the chaos.

"But my dad..." Michelle worries, looking along the banks of the lake wondering where her father could be and whether he was getting to safety.

"I'll make sure he's okay" Peter assured her. Peter turned to leave, but Michelle, still holding his hand, tugged him back. Within milliseconds, she wrapped her arms around his neck tightly, as if this was the last thing she was ever going to do with him. Peter with his mind racing about the destruction going on around him, found her hug comforting and full of care. He wrapped his arms around her waist, squeezing her slightly less than she was, hoping not to hurt her. Michelle rested her head in the crook of his neck as he hugged her back. She didn't want this to end, but knew that Peter needed to leave. After a few seconds savoring the moment, she rose her mouth to his ear.

"Be careful" she whispered, still holding him tight. Peter hugged a little tighter as well, and replied, "You too." They separated looking into each other's eyes, wishing that they didn't have to part. Another explosion ignited behind them, and Peter hopped over the railing, landing on the patio below. Michelle stood on the ledge watching him until he disappeared in the scrambling crowd, then she left to find safety.

Peter found some trees to hide in and quickly changed into his costume. Leaping out from the trees, he landed on a nearby lamp post to observe the damage. Small pot-sized holes were smoking from the spots the explosions occurred, a few people lay on the ground completely lifeless, and those still breathing either running and screaming or holding themselves together on the ground.

"Karen," he shouted, "anymore bombs!?"

NOT SURE, I'LL RUN A SCAN. BUT IT'LL TAKE A WHILE TO GET A DECENT READING

Great, he thought, there's no telling when the next one will go off, if there IS anymore. Better make sure the injured get clear of the impact zone.

He swung into the center of the patio, where a few of the injured were crawling away from the scene. Their faces brightening up to see Spider-Man extending his hand to theirs. They groaned and shouted as the hero lumbered along with an injured person in each of his arms. When he reached a reasonably safe spot, he set them down to retrieve more.

After a few trips, he noticed a group of people helping him get people to safety. One of which being Frank, who had a small boy on his shoulders and what appeared to be his grandfather slung under if arm. Peter smiled under the mask, amazed that he was still willing to risk his life to save others, even with a hurt leg. And he also feels some relief that he can tell Michelle that he was safe, until that feeling was replaced by a sudden hit in the head.

Spider-Man fell to the ground, tumbling along and tripping up civilians as he did. When he finally stopped, he reached for his head. The shock of being hit by something fast, thin, and dense consumed him as he groaned. "Uugghh, what was that?"

"Well, well" a voice said from above menacingly, "looks like our plan worked, boys." Peter turned over to see a group of four boys standing around him in hood-masks. Each one of them wielded some kind of weapon like a crowbar, baseball bat, or a golf club. Another came in from behind them, but not by foot. The newcomer was mounted on what looked like a technically upgraded hoverboard, where the wheels folded underneath to act as hovering blades. It also appeared that wing-extensions had been added to the sides for gliding through the air and a small semi-automatic pistol attached underneath.

Peter observed the man riding this glider and recognized the orange hoodie and ugly yellow mask. "Oh, you again" Peter groaned under his breath. "TAKE HIM!" J-Mac commanded his boys on the ground, and they all charged the young hero.