Chapter 22

There are moments and times in everyone's life, where one ponders life itself. These was one of those nights.

After meeting Darren's family, whom I started to refer to as the Sixers, I've realized that my life before sucked, but so did several thousands of others. I hated my life for the passing of my parents and the demons that haunted me in the night. Yet, there are millions, maybe even billions of people who have lost more than I ever had.

It occurred to me that while my mother sang lullabies to me as a child or came to my BMXing tournaments, the Sixers were locked in cages and treated like animals. They were treated as worthless. I had everything while they had nothing but pain. They had no family to love; they had no parents to love them. They never had anything to begin with.

That was when I realized that you don't truly know what you have until it gets taken from you. Until you reach the darkest depths of your soul and pain, you will never know what it's like to feel nothing or to have nothing.

I had memories. I was loved and cared for until their dying moments and they never once gave up on me. The Sixers had none of that. They were thrown out onto the streets by their parents, because they didn't possess a power. After everything that had happened with my parents, I still had my brothers. I still had friends, a place to live and eat, and I was still loved.

"Ray?"

I turned my head towards the voice behind me. It was Jeremy.

"Hey," I said with a soft voice. "You ok?"

He looked down to the roof tiles below him trying not to look at me, probably out of shame. I was sitting up on the roof looking up into the burning stars of the night. The mountains could be seen in the distance and the moon shined from above. It was almost a full moon, but not quite. The wind swept by me sending my hair flying with it. It was chilly like a fall weather that night. Everything about that night was perfect.

"Not really," he said.

"Come sit down," I said patting the roof tiles next to me. My feet were flat on the tiles letting my knees bend up towards the sky. Jeremy sat down the same.

"I'm scared Ray," he said looking up into the night sky.

"Scared of what?"

He turned his head towards me, "You. Them."

I sat up slowly placing my arms over my knees. "Me?"

"Your powers, what you can do scares me. I watched you turn into a human torch. I watched you shoot electricity out from your hands and you heal like nothing anyone's ever seen. You're practically invincible and its dangerous. I'm scared you might hurt someone. You might hurt me, because you have no idea how to control anything your doing. You just blow."

I looked up into the night sky almost praying for someone or anything to give me a good response back. As usual, I didn't know what to say. "I could have died Jer. They saved me."

"I'm grateful for that, but maybe it would have been better off if you had."

Pain stabbed into my heart. How could he say that? I was his sister, his family. "Why would you say that?"

"Because now we are on the run from a species we know nothing about. A species that has powers and can kill with a single touch. Have you thought about what would happen after tomorrow or today? Have you ever wondered how many times they have ran or moved?"

I shook my head. I didn't ever ask. "Well I can tell you. They have moved fifteen times since they came to earth. They never knew a home, because they were always running and hiding. Not only are they hiding from their own species, but from us. They have to run and hide every time someone slips up like stealing, accidently using their powers, or even people recognizing and knowing their names. We will be leaving, and I know you must know this deep down. The Millers know and you can't expect the others to pretend like that didn't happen."