Chapter 1

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

The rest of my time at the fairgrounds, I had spent with Kaminari and all of his friends. At some point I had almost managed to slip away, I would've been successful if the girl with pink skin wasn't so determined to include me in everything.

The gesture was kind, but that was the exact reason it made me so uncomfortable. Fathoming why anyone would waste effort being kind to me was always a difficult task for me.

It wasn't just her that would try and carry a conversation with me, it was the redhead who I quickly realized had very sharp teeth. He asked a lot of questions, friendly ones, but I hated when people fired off questions at me. It always caught me off guard, making my usual stuttering and slow answers even more unavoidable.

Thankfully, the angry one seemed to avoid me like the plague. His obnoxious and rude nature was comparable to that of my foster parents'.

The guy with the strange elbows, which I had learned was, in fact, from his quirk, was the most enjoyable to talk to. He didn't ask questions or wasn't too loud for his own good. He simply rambled on about his upcoming third year at UA and all of the cool training they've already been through.

By the end of the day, Kaminari was already testing the waters, "Any of my friends seem like soulmate material?"

I paused for a moment, not in thought though, I was merely giving myself a chance to take a deep breath. "Oh, no, sorry." I wasn't very interested in anyone, I had other things to deal with and a social life wasn't one of them.

"Are you just saying that so I'll have to keep looking? And as a result you have to spend more time with me?" Kaminari elbowed me lightly as he spoke his teasing words. I flinched at the unexpected contact, resulting in him paying more attention to my strange reaction than to a response to his question.

"I'm sorry," I apologized hastily, moving my arm to grip the other, "I'm kind of jumpy."

"No need for apologies," he grinned, already preparing to switch topics, "So why don't you believe in soulmates?"

Voicing my opinion wasn't a common opportunity for me, making the invitation to do so even more unsettling. "Why do you believe in soulmates?" I blurted. It was a rare occurrence for me to speak before I think, but whenever I did the words I babble always either seem to be sarcastic or something that could be perceived as rude.

"Because," Kaminari began, a smile beaming on his face, "I think everyone has a purpose, and that purpose is to make each other happy."

While his statement gave me something close to hope, I quickly ignored the feeling as I imagined my foster dad. It seemed as though his sole purpose was to make himself happy in whatever sadistic way he chose.

After being caught up in my thoughts, his expecting stare is what tore me out of it. I had almost forgotten to respond to his cheesy opinion. "Well... I just think some people... some people can make it work, they weren't destined."

"Well just you wait and see," Kaminari said stubbornly, "Once you meet your soulmate it'll feel like destiny."

"I mean..." I took a deep breath, my constant stuttering was irritating me, I could only imagine what I was like to talk to, "... what if I don't have a soulmate?"

"What do you mean?" For a horrible moment I was convinced he'd leave that question me to answer, but as he continued to ramble I appreciated that it was purely rhetorical. "That old woman told you that you'd find the one today!"

"Yeah... I guess you're right." A nervous laugh escaped my lips as I tried to think of ways to escape the situation.

Kaminari paused for a moment, his face changed to one of thought. "What did you mean before when you said that you don't think your parents love you?"

"Oh," I paused at the quick change in topic, "I do think... that."

"Then why'd you say no?" He continued to press.

"Well..." I trailed off in an attempt to by myself time to think of a response, "...they just don't say it anymore."

The vagueness that accompanied my statement only seemed to pique Kaminari's curiosity even more. "Why not?"

My heart seemed to stutter as much as my mouth. I searched for a response before landing on a rather absurd one, "My parents?... they... they're mute... so they don't say it they sign it."

"You could've just said that." The lie seemed to feed Kaminari's interest enough for him to drop the interrogation.

Aside from gratitude due to the dropped subject, guilt began to build along with it. It felt as though I had led him on throughout the whole conversation. "Yeah... I'm sorry," I apologized.

Instead of accepting my regret, he seemed to dismiss it all together. "There's nothing to apologize for. I guess I should be the one to apologize, I am being a little pushy huh?"

"Yeah... a little," I replied, taking a deep breath to ease my ever growing nerves.

The hope that the conversation would end there was futile since Kaminari seemed to keep rambling anyway. "Hey, could I get your number?"

My desire to say no outweighed my ability to actually do so. "Uh... sure."

After hearing my agreement, Kaminari hastily passed his phone to me. It was already opened to the contacts app, all I was responsible for was typing in my number and name. I did both promptly, handing the phone back to Kaminari when I was finished, jumping when our fingers brushed together.

"Thanks!" He said, the smile of his face was indescribably large. "How old are you anyway? I probably should've asked this before in case you were like, 13, and I tried to set you up a bunch of 17-year-olds."

For the first time in a while, a genuine laugh escaped my mouth, "I'm 17."

Kaminari hooked his arm through mine. "Great!" The contact was unanticipated, and I hated surprises. I flinched away, avoiding his eye when he gave me a strange look. "Are you good?"

"Yeah... sorry," I rushed out, my embarrassment was obvious with just one look to my flushed cheeks. "I'm just a bit jumpy."

"There's nothing to apologize for, so don't," Kaminari assured me.

"It's a habit... sorry." As soon as I spoke I hung my head low, searching my brain for ideas of redemption. "I didn't mean to say sorry. So-," I cut myself short, registering the mistake I was about to make for a second time.

Kaminari laughed at me. I hadn't thought that I was being so pathetic until he did so. I could barely go a sentence without apologizing. My sigh nearly overlapped with his advice, "If you ever think about apologizing that's so minimal, just say that you're not sorry."

"I'll try," I agreed quietly.

"How about we meet here tomorrow?" Kaminari asked, putting his hands into his pockets as I began navigating my way to the entrance of the fair. He followed, waiting for my answer.

"I'll ask," I told him, "My... parents... are strict." I had always hated calling them my parents, but I hated questions even more.

Even with my lack of commitment, he still managed to grin. "I guess tomorrow will be a surprise then."

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Okay second chapter sorry it was so short I did my best with editing but damn this chapter was a whole lotta nothing.

Thanks for reading I will update sometime this week.