Searching in the Dark

Tyler:

Unsurprisingly, my friend had restrained me from drinking all that much. It had beens hours since I arrived and I'd only consumed one beer while I was slowly nursing my second bottle. At first I was furious when he brought a single drink to me, but seeing the concern in his eyes my mind decided to go along with him for the time being. I was without a doubt going to get drunk before I left though.

Images of Troye's scars and cuts ran through my mind, as fast as a freight train on crack. How was I going to help him if I couldn't even think about it without wanting to curl up and cry? Why Troye? He was so sweet and perfect in every way. Why couldn't my best friend see that?

Frustratedly, I wiped the hot tears tipping past my eyes, off my face with the back of my hand. It seemed like a good time to start getting drunk.

"James give me a round of shots," I spoke hoarsely, "I need it," I added when hesitation and concern flickered through his eyes.

"Tyler I really don't think that is a good idea," James stated calmly, a look of responsibility flashing across his face, "An emotional drunk never ends up safe. You, Tyler, are someone that I want around for a good long while yet."

"I don't give a fuck, I need to forget. Just for one night at least," My feet twisted nervously, as my body instinctually winced at the thought o f Troye intentionally hurting himself. A twinge of guilt lit up in my mind when I say James' hurt expression. He really was a very good friend, and I didn't want him to feel taken for granted.

"You might want to give a damn soon Ty. How do you think your friend is going to get help or work things through without you there for him?" The burly man sensibly reasoned, pulling up facts that I had told him throughout the day. Basically all James knew was that I had a close friend that was going through some personal issues. Other than that he really had no clue.

"You're right," I sighed dejectedly, but still craving a strong round of shots.

"I've been right all evening," he stated matter-of-factly.

"However," I continued, "That doesn't change the fact that I need to get piss ass drunk tonight," the retort flowed smoothly across my lips.

"Oh my fucking God Tyler!" His voice bellowed across the counter, but James' hard expression shifted to one of sympathy when he saw the desperation flooding my eyes, "look, ok. You want to get drunk then fine. Go ahead and get piss ass drunk. I'll serve you....On the one condition that you let me drive you home and you don't leave here until my shift is over!" He declared, proud at having found a solution.

"Thankyou James," I breathed out in relief as my friend finally began to pour me a round of shouts.

"Ah ah ah," James held the glasses just out of my reach, "let me hear you say it first."

"Okay, you can," I changed the wording when I saw his glare, "Fine, will drive me home after your shift is over."

"And...?" He prompted motioning with his free hand.

"And I won't leave until your shift is done," I grumbled impatiently, but began to laugh when I saw his satisfied face.

"Here you go sir!" James smirked placing the drinks in front of me, "one order of piss-ass drunk!"

My fingers greedily gripped the cool glass, not even registering when my friend turned around to serve another person. The drink inched closer and closer to my mouth and I relished knowing that relief would soon be burning down my throat. The rim of the cup had just touched my lips when a loud crash sounded throughout the bar.