Fun Times All Around

The morning began with the sound of someone slamming their leg into the side of Wilson's dresser, followed by a string of curses so strong that it could make even the most blasphemous man would suck in his breath. Slowly, Wilson opened his eyes and saw a man was clutching his leg, bouncing on one foot. He nearly had a stroke out of pure shock but realized after a moment that it was just a familiar someone wearing some of his work clothes.

"Willow?" He asked, groggily sitting up. His sister stared back at him like a deer caught in headlights. "Why are you dressed like that?"

"Oops. Accidentally stubbed my toe on my way out." Willow chuckled, putting her sore foot down. "I thought you said I was coming to the mortuary with you today? I was just so excited to come that i decided to prepare early."

Wilson groaned and rubbed his eyes. "Ah, shit. We are going there today, aren't we. What time is it? We've still gotta drop by the agency and see if there's any new paperwork to review, and there likely is."

"Oh, joy. It was about six a.m. when I came upstairs." Willow replied.

"Six!" Wilson laughed unsteadily, lifting himself out of bed. "Well, I've certainly slept in today, no thanks to you. Still doesn't tell me why you're wearing my clothing though." He looked Willow up and down as he stretched his arms above his head.

"Oh, I figured people may take me a little more seriously if I look like you." The female smiled triumphantly. "Besides, I like the movement men's trousers allow." She added, kicking up a leg to prove her point. "Boom! Less indecent than if I were wearing a skirt!"

Wilson sighed. "If you want pants, just tell me and I'll get a pair tailored for you. You don't have to keep stealing mine."

"But we're the same size, so wouldn't it be more convenient this way?" Willow protested. Her brother turned her around and ushered her to the door.

"For you, yes, it would be. Now get out." Wilson urged, "I have to get dressed as well and it's far too goddamn early to be bickering with you."

"But Wilson--" She whined.

"Shoo." He closed the door in her face before she could protest any further. Wilson let out a sigh of relief when he heard a pair of indignant footsteps heading down the stairs and promptly dressed himself in his usual work clothes. Last night's sleep had been a dreamless one, and lucky for him; the last thing Wilson needed was some asinine projection of the mind taking up his brainpower for today. He came down the stairs to find Willow seated impatiently by the door and a plate of still-warm toast on their kitchen table. God, how long had it been since Wilson had actually stopped to eat something before leaving for work?

"Go ahead, take as much as you'd like," Willow said, "I've already eaten."

"Thank you." Wilson grabbed two pieces and his briefcase off the floor by the door. "Let's go, then."

The early morning air was chilly and the sky was still black as pitch without a star in sight. Wilson pulled from the pocket of his coat a portable torch and turned it on, illuminating the path in front of them that was littered with twigs and the occasional leaf or two.

"I don't understand how you're able to traverse to work in these conditions," Willow complained, shivering. "It's freezing cold!"

"Are you sure? It's only about 15 degrees Celcius out." Wilson responded. "Maybe you should have grabbed a heavier jacket."

"Maybe so." Small branches and leaves crunched under their feet as they walked, and the only other noises to be heard between the two from there were the sounds of the breeze and of Wilson crunching softly on his two pieces of toast. Upon departing from the forest, which took a good ten minutes or so, they saw that the streets of their town were illuminated by street lamps but otherwise almost entirely empty. Thin clouds of fog could be seen misting over the lights' glass covers delicately like silk. Strange, Wilson thought; usually there'd at least be another person or two walking about at this hour.