Chapter three

"Where are we going?" Adam nearly had to scream over the wind and engine.

"To get my mom, what did you think? That we were getting coffee?"

Adam humfed. "Well, no, but do you know where you're going?"

I rolled my eyes. "I have a slight idea. Now be quiet and let me drive and focus." My blue hair whipped around in the wind, and I squinted to focus on the road. "Hey Adam, what does that street sign say?"

"Ummm, I think it says Misty Lane," Adam said, straining his neck to see. I took a sharp right, almost knocking Adam off the backseat of my motorcycle. I quickly braked, stopping in front of a large abandoned warehouse. The faded sign on top of the building read- Thead. Inc. A wave of deja vu passed over me. I quickly remembered the days spent walking past here with my old friends, most of which I have lost touch with, guessing what it held and always having that air of mystery around it.

I walked up to the tall wood door at the front of the warehouse. "This is probably so old that we can break it down," I said, pushing against the door. "On the count of three. One.....two.....three!" We both kicked aiming for the center of the door. The frame quickly gave way, and the whole door fell to the ground with a loud crack. We both entered, looking around and craning our necks for a better view. The warehouse, to my surprise was empty. All except the lone figure of a man in a black overcoat. He walked slowly towards us.

"I knew you would figure it out. You're a smart girl. We wouldnt've chosen you if you weren't," He smirked at me a little bit. His words just aggravated me more.

"Listen, where's my mother? You better not have touched her, you dirty scum," I walked towards him, trying to look imposing, but probably failing, I'm sure.

"Also strong. Another reason we chose you. Your mothers fine, she's probably at home, reading the paper," His face said, you happy now?

I raised my eyebrow. "Wait, you mean my mom is home? And what do you mean 'chose me'?!"

He sighed as if he had to answer to stupid seventeen-year olds ask stupid questions all day. "Yes, that's what I said. She won't remember any of this. It was all a trap. I made sure that your neighbor was watching when I dragged your mom out. I knew he would call you at school and tell you. I knew you would come looking for her. I dragged her down to the corner and then let her go, after telling her that it was all a dream and those depression meds she's on are doing funny things to her brain. If I really wanted to kidnap her, I wouldn't have been so sloppy."

"Okay. I believe you. But why do you need to see me?"

He smiled, like a five-year old who has just taken the last cookie from the jar. "I have business with you, my dear."