2.27 Knowing You Once More

Start from the beginning

Xiao Zi had fought Long TianShan in a match just a few days before. But never would she imagine that his moves and sudden assault would be as fierce and murderous at this moment. As a Martial-Artist, she knew that there was no way she would be able to win against him, especially when this was not even a friendly match.

YuLan quickly intercepted his next assault as it was aimed towards Xiao Zi's solar plexus that would no doubt render her friend incapacitated.

However, Hui's blade might as well be a butter knife as it made contact with Long TianShan's claws. Everytime her sword barely touched the man, the black fog tried to climb onto the hilt of her blade, causing her to jump backward in trepidation.

She did not want to know what would happen if the malice were to ever reach her skin. Then she felt a numbing pain on her right leg as soon as it touched the ground, causing her to stumble. Zhen Zhu was a few steps away, tending to the barely conscious Lu Bing, her eyes widened in horror as she watched Long TianShan's laughter grew colder as his claws were about to touch YuLan's shoulder,

"Pesky pest. I just wanted to talk to Miss Xiao Zi." The man smiled coldly, "Let's get you out of the way."

Xiao Zi threw her blade and as if it was second nature, she unhesitatingly lunged sideways to reach where YuLan was, where those killing claws were intended at. If Long TianShan was just a bit enamoured in her as he claimed he was, then he should be at least be hesitant in attacking. She was willing to bet with her own life.

YuLan's eyes were widened in horror as the flash of figure came in between her and Long TianShan, she was suddenly brought back to the nightmare of her past lifetime. She wanted to get Xiao Zi out of the way, to not see her friend die in front of her.

To not see another friend die again in front of her, because she was incapable of protecting herself.

The dim face as the red streaked in front of her, as Xiao Hui's whisper of her name echoed in her mind, Xiao Hui's cold body.

Once again, she could only sit and watch.

Long TianShan's agonizing scream barely registered in her sense of hearing afterwards as she was suddenly enveloped in a warm embrace. She panted in agony, still remembering the scene of Xiao Hui's death, sobbing into the arms she was being held in,

"Xiao.... Xiao... ."Her words were incoherent and her voice stammering.

"She is alright." The voice was youthful, gentle and comforting. The grip around her shoulders tightened, bringing her a sense of unprecedented comfort,

"You are alright. You are alright."

His voice was a soothing lullaby.

----------

Ao Xiang was still holding Xiao Zi in his arms, his Fire Phoenix was still engulfing the screaming Long TianShan. He gently brushed Xiao Zi's hair off her damp forehead and cheeks, the young woman had already lost consciousness. In fact, as soon as he caught her in his arms moments ago, just before the sharp claws of the Martial-Artist-turned-Daemon were a horse's breath away from taking her away from his existence... .

"Not again. Not again. Never again." He whispered as he tried to steady his rapidly beating heart, finally gathering a bit of warmth as he could feel Xiao Zi's steady breathing against his neck.

By holding her close, knowing that she was still breathing, he knew he existed. He could continue to exist.

If he was just a bit late before... .

"Ao Xiang... . What do we do with this one?" Shen Wei's palms were clasped together, injecting his qi to Ao Xiang's spirit beast that was still eagerly burning Long TianShan. He did not know how it would feel to be burnt by a Fire Phoenix, but by the anguished torturous sound the man was emitting, he was more than happy to never find out.