[10]

(a/n : since coming back to this story, I've completely changed directions so if you're re-reading this and thinking well that's different, it is. I feel much better about the plot now!)

Being back at his parent's house felt weird.

He's been on his own for so long now, his childhood home is almost foreign. Not that being home changed that much. When he arrived, no one was even in the house, both his parents at work. He hadn't let them know in advance he would be arriving, so it only made sense they not be there. He still sighed deeply, wishing that at least his mother would be here.

It shouldn't feel this weird. He'd been back here just months prior, for Christmas. He and Violetta had traveled the long hours to show up at this very doorstep, greeted by his parents. They had welcomed them so warmly, such a contrast to what Leon used to know. Leon wasn't sure he could get used to it.

Leon's life wasn't some tragic teen story, his parents were nice people. They were just busy a lot of the time. Leon had the house to himself when he was younger, and wasn't used to the way Violetta had grown up, surrounded by so many others even if her parents were busy. It's why he liked her family so much. He still loved his mom and dad very much, he just wished they were there for him more often. Especially now, as his life has taken this grand turn. He wished they were here to offer some wisdom of sorts.

The door is suddenly being unlocked, Leon in shock since he didn't expect anyone to be home so soon. His mother walks in, a gasp leaving her lips the second she sees her son just standing in the hall. Leon crumbles, suddenly feeling like a little kid again. He runs to his mother, enveloping her in a tight embrace before he bursts into tears. His mother is surprised, holding her son close as Leon tries his hardest to compose himself. But at the same time he couldn't, he feels like he'd been holding too much in.

When his father arrives, Leon and his mother have moved to the kitchen. Half filled mugs rest in front of them and his father looks a little alarmed at the situation.

"What are you doing back here? Is everything okay?" his father says. Loen could cry all over again, but he stays strong, merely shaking his head.

"Leon isn't going to school anymore." His mom offers, since Leon was having a hard time finding his words.

"Oh." His father wasn't angry, clearly just baffled. "Where's Violetta?" His mother hadn't asked him that and he thought he was going to get away with not bringing her up.

"At home. I needed some time for myself." Leon's father nods, slowly starting to understand.

"Have you guys eaten anything?"

His father made them chicken and rice, a tub of ice cream as their dessert as they crowded around the television. They sat on the couch, one of Leon's favorite childhood movies on. It really felt like he was ten again, a child in need of his parents. He realized that right now he really did need them, needed their advice.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Leon?"

"I think I want to quit my job." Leon's father looks at him solemnly, trying to figure out what seemsto be going on in his son's head. He looks back at the television.

"It makes you unhappy, doesn't it?" Leon nods his head.

He leans back, seemingly deep in thought. "It's been a long time since I've seen you smile when you talk about work. It almost feels like you never want to talk about it anymore. I thought it was odd, and now it makes sense." He puts a hand on Leon's shoulder, that fatherly pat as he continues. "Forget the job, find something that makes you happy. Just like when you found Violetta." As awkward as his father can be, he appreciates the sentiment.

"Thank you." He says, feeling like it's enough. Like even though he doesn't say I love you, he knows his parents know or at least understand. His father says he's turning in for the night and leaves Leon and his mother alone once more.

"I'm happy you're home," His mother starts, eyes glazed over as if in a trance. "You haven't visited in a while."

Leon knew he hadn't. Things had gotten so hard for him, making the time to see his parents was the last thing on his priority list.

"We're not getting any younger, you know." she laughs, but it's tight lipped and Leon feels horrible. He looks at his mother, really looks at her and notices how much more defined the lines on her face are. She's aged, as had he and maybe it was time to put the past in the past.

"I know. " he says quietly, suddenly nervous. "I guess coming home still means 'being alone' to me." His mother reaches for his hand. "You and Dad were always working and the house always felt so big... It's hard to see it any different."

"We should have been better parents-"

"No, you were great parents- still are great parents. I just wished you would have made more time for me." Leon feels more vulnerable here in his parents' kitchen, wishing to say everything and more, just dump his troubles on the one person he knows will listen.

"I have tomorrow off. I'm sure your father wouldn't mind cashing in a sick day." her smile reaches her eyes. Leon nods, accepting.

His parents may not have been there for him growing up, but they were here now, when he needed them the most.