Chapter 11

ASHLEY’S POV

I calmed down and finally feel asleep last night. I have faith that we’ll get Stefan out of the tomb, but yesterday was so crazy that my emotions were all over the place. Elena is still pretty upset and I’m gonna be there for her today.

I’m sitting on Elena’s bed with her and Bonnie.

“Now that you’ve got this back, what are you gonna do with it?” I ask Bonnie, rotating the moonstone in my hand.

“Right now, it’s what is binding the sun and the moon curse. If I can figure out a way to remove the spell from the stone, the stone becomes useless.” Bonnie explains.

“And according to Katherine, Klaus becomes vengeful.” Elena speaks up.

“Maybe. If he finds out.” Bonnie responds.

“Bonnie, can’t this wait? Stefan is stuck in the tomb with Katherine. We’ve got to get him out.” Elena argues and I take a deep breath.

“Stefan wants us to focus on this.” I tell her and she shakes her head, standing up.

“Don’t listen to him. He thinks that he’s protecting me, but he’s wrong.”

“I’m taking Stefan’s side with this one. We’re not gonna let you get used in some creepy sacrifice ritual.” Bonnie says.

“Ashley, come on.” Elena pleads to me and I give her a sympathetic look.

“I’m sorry.” I say quietly. After yesterday, I’m gonna have to be on Stefan’s side. I’m not losing Elena.

“What are you guys arguing about?” Jeremy asks, poking his head into the room.

“We’re not arguing about anything.” I smile at him and look back at Elena, tossing the moonstone back onto the bed.

“I need a coffee.” Bonnie says walking out of the room with Jeremy.

I look over at Elena who is still standing in the middle of the room. “I’m sorry, Elena. I don’t want you going on some kind of suicide mission. I know I said I would help yesterday, but I can’t do that anymore.” I tell her.

“I’m trying to prevent everyone else from getting hurt.” She argues.

“That doesn’t make taking the moonstone to Klaus so you can yourself killed okay.” I say walking out of the room. I take a deep breath because I know what’s going to happen next. I step into Jeremy’s room and wait for Elena to walk out of her room with her keys in her hand.

“Where are you going?” I hear Bonnie ask her as I walk back into her room.

“Um, to see Stefan.” Elena answers.

“You’re lying.” Bonnie says and I look on Elena’s bed to see that the moonstone is gone.

“No, I’m not.” Elena says back.

“Really? Tell your face.”

“Are you serious?” Elena whines as I come down the steps behind them.

“She took the moonstone.” I announce and Elena shoots me a look. If looks could kill, I’d be so dead right now.

“How did you…” She starts to ask.

“We tested you.” Bonnie explains. “And you failed.”

“Klaus killed Katherine’s entire family just because she crossed him. I can’t let that happen.” Elena tells us and Bonnie steps out of the way as Elena walks to the front door. She opens it and tries to walk out, but she’s trapped by an invisible barrier.