Chapter 9

I wake up the next morning not sure what to think about anything. I told Damon I loved him. He said he loved me. He left. I don’t know what all of this means but I do know that he chose not to compel me. He gave me my necklace back and left.

My phone vibrates interrupting my thoughts.

Damon- You need to get to our house, now.

I’m confused by what he could want, but something tells me it has nothing to do with our exchange last night. Something else must be wrong.

I quickly get dressed and head to the boarding house.

“Hello, Ashley.” Damon smiles at me when he pulls the front door open.

“What’s going on?” I ask and he doesn’t respond. Instead, he just opens the door further for me to step inside. I look at him for a moment before walking past him, into the living room.

I see Stefan first and he smiles at me. I look behind me to see Elena sitting on the couch looking uncomfortable. When I look to my right, I realize why.

“You.” I state as Rose stands in the corner of the room.

“I’m not here to hurt anyone. I want to help. Now that everyone is here, you have to understand I only know what I’ve picked up over the years and I don’t know what’s true and what’s not true. It’s the problem with all this vampire crap, but Klaus…I know he’s real.”

“Who?” I ask abruptly, not sure what she’s talking about.

“He’s one of the originals, he’s a legend.” Damon says, coming up behind me.

“From the first generation of vampires.” Stefan adds.

“Like Elijah?” Elena asks.

“No.” Rose speaks up. “Elijah was the Easter bunny compared to Klaus. He’s a foot soldier. Klaus is the real deal.”

“Klaus is known to be the oldest.” Stefan explains and I look at Elena who’s putting the pieces together.

“Okay, so you’re saying that the oldest vampire in the history of time is coming after me?” She asks and I know what’s coming.

“Yes.” Rose confirms.

“No.” Stefan steps in.

“What they’re saying is…I mean if what’s she’s saying is true…” Damon looks at Rose.

“Which it is.” She nods.

“And you’re not just saying it so I don’t kill you.” He continues.

“Which I’m not.”

“Then we’re looking at a solid maybe.” Damon shrugs and I shake my head.

“Wait, if Elijah’s dead, no one else knows that Elena exists.” I say and Stefan nods.

“Not that you know of.” Rose adds.

“That’s not helping.” Damon says to her with a glare.

“Look, I’ve never even met anyone who’s laid eyes on him. I mean, we’re talking centuries of truth mixed with fiction. We don’t know if he’s real. For all we know, he could just be some sort of stupid bed time story.” Stefan tries to make Elena feel better but she stays quiet.

“He’s real and he doesn’t give up. If he wants something, he gets it. If you’re not afraid of Klaus, then you’re an idiot.” Rose says.

“Alright, we’re shaking. You made your point.” Damon scoffs as Elena stands from the couch.