bandages

Word Count : 942
________

"Dean, is there anything you'd like to tell us about yourself?" The teacher asked, looking up at Dean

"Dean, is there anything you'd like to tell us about yourself?" The teacher asked, looking up at Dean. Dean rolled his eyes a bit, hating how everyone was looking at him.

Dean just smirked and shrugged, not saying anything.

"Oh, come on. Say something." The teacher chuckled, making Dean groan quietly. He was about to say something before the nurse stepped in the room, looking at Dean.

"Dean, we need you." The nurse said softly. "It's your brother."

Dean was out of the room in a second. He practically rushed past her when he found the nurse's office. He saw Sam laying on a cot, bandages on his hand and leg. He sat by Sam, fixing his messy hair. He was relieved that Sam was asleep, since he could see blood through the bandages. He figured he was in pain.
"What happened to my brother?" Dean asked the nurse.

"He fell while playing outside. A piece of glass went in his hand. We're waiting for an ambulance. I figured you'd wanna sit with him. We don't have the equipment here to remove a big piece of glass. He fell asleep in here. I think it was the air conditioner." The nurse said as she sat down at her desk.

Dean thanked her quietly, for taking care of Sam. He just watched Sam rest, hoping he'd be okay. Soon enough, the people from the hospital came in.

A man looked at Dean. "I'm doctor Evans. I'm gonna treat your brother on the way to the hospital. If you could lift him up, we'll get him outside."

Dean nodded softly and bent down, lifting Sam's head carefully and cradling it. He put an arm around Sam's back and head, then one around his legs. He lifted him up, holding him carefully. He followed the doctor through the school to go outside.

Sam woke up before they made it outside, squinting his eyes as the sun hit them. "Dean?"

"You're gonna be okay, Sam. Keep your eyes closed." Dean said, securing his hold on Sam.

Sam cried out when Dean did that, because he'd hit his arm. "Dean!"

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to."

"It's fine." Sam cried, burying his face in Dean. He was in a lot of pain. Dean laid Sam on a gurney in the ambulance, sitting by his side. The doctor got in across from Dean, unwrapping the bandage on Sam's arm. He sighed gently.

"I'm gonna have to give him anesthesia." The doctor said.

Sam groaned again when they started pulling the van away from the school. "Just do it. Get this glass out of me."

The doctor nodded and put Sam under. Sam stared at Dean as he fell asleep, his head lolling to the side. Dean held Sam's other hand, watching as the doctor worked carefully to get the glass out. When the glass came out, it had Sam's blood on it. The doctor immediately cleaned the wound and stitched Sam's arm.

He checked on Sam's leg but it was just a bruise and a small cut. He cleaned it and made sure it was okay. He sighed gently. "Your brother will be fine. He just needs rest."

"Thank you." Dean said kindly. "I should probably call my father."
_______
John walked into the hospital, heading to the front desk. "I'm here for my son. Sam."

The nurse smiled softly, standing and leading him to where Sam was at. Sam was in a small room, an IV in his wrist. He was sleeping.

Dean stood when John entered the room, facing him.

"What happened?" John asked him.

"He fell at school, a piece of glass went in his hand. He's fine." Dean replied, looking down.

"He's asleep?"

"Yeah." Dean went back to Sam's side, holding Sam's hand and stroking it with his thumb.

Sam woke up, staring up at Dean. He didn't say anything for awhile, waiting for his eyes to focus. He smiled a bit. "Hi."

"Hey, kiddo. I still have to deal with you." Dean chuckled gently. "My pain in the ass brother."

Sam chuckled gently, smiling happily. He felt a lot better. He fell back asleep quickly.

John looked at him. "We won't be able to pay the bill. We'll have to take him out of here. We can buy pain medicine somewhere else and keep the wound treated."

Dean nodded gently, fixing Sam's hair and making sure he was comfortable. "Let's find his clothes then."

John found them on the counter and they carefully dressed Sam. Dean woke up Sam. "We're getting you out of here."

Sam yawned , looking at Dean and John. "Dad... what.."

"We can't pay this bill. We're taking you out." John replied, tucking his arm under Sam's head and lifting him up carefully. He held his legs too. Sam groaned. "Easy on the arm. You banged it on the bed."

"Dad, he has stitches." Dean said, getting up and grabbing his bags.

John simply nodded and they managed to get out and sneak past the nurses. John laid Sam in the backseat and once everyone was situated, he drove off. For several minutes, Sam groaned and cried.

John eventually had enough and snapped at Sam. "Sam, man up and stop crying."

"Dad, Sam's hurting. He needs medicine." Dean spoke up, looking back at a teary-eyed Sam. He noticed how shaky he looked.

"Well, cry quieter." John said, turning back to the road. Dean reached his hand back when John wasn't looking and held Sam's hand, letting Sam squeeze his hand to relieve the pain.

No words were said but Sam knew Dean was there for him.