the pretenders| prologue

0.5 Prologue

HARRY
People do not love.

     At least, not in my perspective. They lust. They attach themselves. They always seem to mis-conceptualize the word and it drives me fucking mad. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only people that have loved me - and vice versa - were my mum and my sister.
     I don't believe in love at first sight. If ever I were to, I'd have to experience it. And I haven't. At least, not yet. That's what -
     I jumped, hearing loud banging on the door. "Harry, open the God damned door, we have the blessing of pizza and beer!" Zayn yelled from outside my - unlocked - front door.
     "Just a minute!" I yelled back. I stood from the cold leather couch and went into my room to get rid of the ratty little notebook I was writing in. Opening my closet, I stuffed it deep into the pocket of one of my coats, then softly closed the door behind me.
     "Harry Edward Styles! If you don't open this door in three seconds, so help me God, I'll break it down!" Niall's muffled voice hollered. "Three..."
     I smirked. I best wait it out; Ni can't break down the door. Just the thought of it made me chuckle.
     "Two...One! Ha!" I heard something heavy slam against the door, rattling the doorframe. "Ow..."
     I laughed. "Stop hurting yourselves, lads. It's open!"
     Lou was the first one to drag his mud-covered Nikes all over the welcome mat and start charging at me like an angry baby hippo.
     "Harry!" He tackled me to the couch and started yelling in my ear. "Why did you leave me outside in the pouring rain? I loved you!"
     "Enough with the drama, Lou," Zayn rolled his eyes playfully, tore him off of me and went to the kitchen.
     Niall came up to me, from out of the kitchen and punched me on the shoulder. I flinched a bit and rubbed where the punch landed. What the fuck?
     Niall glared at me. "Why didn't you say the damn door was unlocked? Now this thing-" he gestured to his knee "- is gonna bruise because of that."
     I laughed. It was good to have the boys around again after how Michael - our manager - had told me off the other day about getting a girlfriend and whatnot. I had to keep my hands in my pockets for the last three days, only so I wouldn't have the urge to break anything...or anyone. It just wasn't the time.
     "Anyway, where's Li?" I asked just as the unmistakable sound of glass breaking sounded from the kitchen. I sighed.
     Niall chuckled and clapped my shoulder. I winced as the small yell of pain that rose from his punch echoed. "Bet you five he's in the kitchen, screwing up everything he touches."
     Knowing Li, I handed Niall a five in advance as we walked to the white wood, marble-based kitchen. Uneven shards of glass - most likely from a beer bottle - peppered the wooden floor of the kitchen in a translucent dark green while Liam stood wide-eyed, smack in the middle of the lot .
     "Zayn! Look what you did!" Liam mock-yelled at an annoyed Zayn.
     "Missed a spot there, mate," Louis pointed at a small piece near the fridge.
     Zayn was down on all fours, using a mini broom to sweep up the biggest parts into a little dustpan. He muttered things to himself - probably profanities to Liam - quietly as he kept on sweeping.
     He looked so silly crawling with a mini broom-pan set around the spacious apartment kitchen.
     "Liam just help the poor lad tidy up already," Lou said, trying not to smile. He leaned against the sink, just supervising Zayn while he cleaned up Liam's mess in the kitchen...again.
     Niall nodded. "Yeah, I'm starving," he said, tapping his tummy.
     Zayn looked up from what he was doing and set the dustpan down. "When are you not?" He squinted at the growling stomach of the Irish lad next to me.
     "Hey! There was the time...uh when...er...hmm-" Niall started to trail off, thoughtfully tapping his chin.
     "Don't hurt yourself, Ni," I patted his shoulder, walking up to the center island where all the food was. I opened up the pizza box and the smell of mozzarella and pepperoni filled the room and the lads cheered. "Let's eat before Michael calls me to-"
     My phone started blaring the bridge of What Makes You Beautiful - I really needed to change that. I reached into my back pocket and it automatically answered before I even saw the ID.
     "Harry, come down to my office - it's urgent," our manager's stoic voice said over the line.
     Speak of the devil.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Hello, (it's me) my darlings! So I'm trying to start this new fanfic and I hope you guys will like it and/or warm up to it (?).
Random note: if you know any corny jokes or pick-up lines, please comment them or dm me!

Z