A NEW LIFE

When Adriana left, I decided to walk around that small room a bit. I stood before a giant mirror on one of the walls with an antique table near it. I saw my tangled dry brown hair and my eyes that had turned red from all the saltwater. I went back and sat on my bed. I thought of Mom; people said I looked just like her. She kissed me every night and we would talk of so many things...And my brother Jim, he was so young and would not eat dinner without me beside him. Dad was always always talking about the day he would gift me a special surprise when when we reached home after the voyage. I would never know what it was. I would never see them again...I would never go home...I couldn't help the tears that wet my face. 

I lifted my hand so I could wipe my tears away.It was then that I noticed the ring on my finger. I tried thinking of how it got there. I had no memories of this ring. Did Adriana put it on me? These people are all set to ruin my life anyway. Maybe, or maybe not. I was thirsty by that time and drank the glass of water Adriana had put on the table next to my bed. I knew I made a mistake when I suddenly felt all drowsy. I should have known...They'd drugged it! 

...............................................................................................................................................................

I woke up the next morning  to a burning pain throbbing in my veins. I couldn't feel anything. I might have screamed because I heard voices rushing to my room. Adriana came in first. 

"What did you do to me? Please...Stop it! I..I can't.." I was crying like a baby. 

"It's the maiden's milk. Get the lyre," Adriana whispered to one of the women. 

Adriana sat beside me.

"There there dear...the pain would subside soon. You were a mere mortal and now...and now you  are transfiguring to a nymph...a glorious siren. Just...just relax. We'll help you..."

I was in a bed in a strange place surrounded by strange people, and a strange pain radiating all through my body. The embarrassment, the shame and the strong feeling of insecurity got to me. I didn't feel like I wanted to live anymore.I wanted to just disappear. These women were murmuring to each other, some with pity and others laughing softly. Adriana snatched the lyre from the woman who brought it and began playing a tune. My body, that had been writhing in pain calmed down and my hand that so desperately clutched my abdomen let go of the clothing. Adriana made a sign to another woman who wrapped me in a cozy blanket and then everyone except Adriana left the room.

"I know it's hard dear...But think about it. You will have amazing powers...You would be beautiful; your beauty would stand out from everyone you'd ever known. You could close your eyes and focus and you could swim the waters with shining scales, blazing bright in the morning sun. All these girls will look up to you...I promise, Athena...you will not regret your new life with us."

The pain slowly melted away. But I was still dizzy. 

"I- I won't? I won't regret?" I found myself repeating after her.

" No...Trust me.."

"Yes...I...I trust you. No regrets..."

She slowly got up and walked out of the room.

"I will fetch you something to eat. And I'll send someone to keep you company and tell you about your training and duties here."

I didn't know what was happening to me. I didn't feel bad anymore. I felt I belonged here.This must be my destiny...my rebirth.I was happy and- and content. 

 I checked the ring and tried once again to figure out where I got it from. I must have thought too hard because now I could picture a young man with dark and sleepless sagged eyes in a huge ship that was drifting away from the shore. He was about my age, and kept mumbling my name. I was in a trance. Suddenly, the vision disappeared. I could see him no more, and I felt my heart ache for him. 

"Please...come back...Don't - don't go" I was mumbling.

Hi, readers! If you enjoyed the chapter, consider giving it a vote! Read on to find more about Athena and her life in a new world! Thank you!