THE BEGINNING

I never deserved this torture. True, I'd had dreams of having my 18th birthday celebrated in an unforgettable way. But it turned out to be my worst nightmare. Three years have passed since that terrifying day. And today, I am the Watcher of the Sacred Prisons, sitting outside at the only occupied cell and staring at its inmate, a youth of about my age. His blue eyes look at mine in the most painful way, I feel like I should kill him right away so I could free him of this dreadful place. But something about him tells me I have seen him before. I spend sleepless nights trying to recall where I had seen this fair face first, but I can't. I regret having sent our troops to sing to him as he sailed parts of the vast ocean unknown to him. He turned the wheel swiftly , traversing  rapidly the distance between our islands and his ship,like many others had done before him. What amazed the triplet was that...he came not with lust, but hope...Something I had lost in a distant time. What else could I have done? I am a Siren...A horrifying monster! But let me start from the beginning.

I don't remember much of the day I lost everything I could call my own. We were on a ship. A storm struck and we were left to die in the middle of the ocean. I was hit by sharp metal objects and struggled to breathe in the ice cold waters, shivering and in the worst pain imaginable. And then, I blacked out. When I awoke, I was in this island, fresh blood still pouring out from my wounds. I lay there going into short periods of sleep, but unable to move. My skin had wrinkled due to the salt water, and my voice had gone, my throat dry and in desperate need of water.I couldn't believe it at first - it seemed too good to be true- but I saw a woman walk towards my weary body. It was a just a silhouette, but then she became more clear and realistic as she approached. I tried to sit up to get a better view of her, but fell back, breathing heavily from the effort. Now I could see her face, pale as a full moon, with bright blue eyes and red lips that had a glow to it as stars that blossomed in the skies beyond cast their heavenly light on her body. She wore a light pink loose dress that fluttered in the evening breeze. She knelt down beside me and ran her long fingers across my forehead. A chill ran down my spine as I felt her ice cold touch. I was gravely afraid, but I could not move. My pupils dilated in horror. Gradually, having no choice, I gave in. I let her caress my blonde hair and touch my sores, despite the discomfort it caused me. Then I realized I was tired...I needed rest...so I drifted to a deep sleep...

When I got up next I was in for a surprise. I lay on a feather bed, my head resting on a soft pillow. The room was magnificent, there were large windows letting in bright sunshine and a table beside me with a tray of fruits and an ornamental jug of water. But this must be an ancient room, for there were no bulbs or fans. The room had candles, hundreds of them, in the chandelier. The walls were painted with scenes one would find in a museum. One of them had a young girl playing with a flower by a riverside, surrounded by beautiful ladies watching over her, sitting on trees. Another had a large branch with huge colorful birds on them, only that these birds were different- they had heads of women. Suddenly, the lady from the previous night entered the room, the creaking door startled me. She stood beside me, took my hand and felt my wrist. I get it...She was checking for my pulse.

"You are relaxed, Athena. You are healing. Now that's a good sign," she said firmly.

"Where am I ? Who are you? How do you know my name? Where are my parents? Tell me...you..." I was crying and shouting."That's a lot of questions, sweetheart. You'll know the answers soon..."

Her lips broadened into a menacing smile.