Reunion

Jean sat in Sasha and Connie's living room, looking around the newly bought apartment. "Congratulations on the new place." Jean said to Sasha who was sitting beside him.

"Thanks," She looked around as well as if to make sure everything looked the same as it did earlier. "Are you nervous?" Jean stared at her in surprise. How did she know. "It's written all over your face." she explained.

Jean sighed, of course Sasha could read him like a book. He, Sasha, Connie, and Marco always hung out a lot in high school. Jean grabbed at his chest, felling pain remembering Marco. Marco and Jean had moved to New York together, Marco pursuing theater and Jean reaching for his modeling dream, but about three months after they had gotten their shared apartment, Marco got cancer on the right side of his brain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Flashback in a New York hospital~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm sorry." The nurse said coming out of the emergency room. "There was nothing we could do." Jean leaned back on the wall and slid down it putting his head in his hands. "He wasn't in pain." The nurse said, trying to console a nineteen year old Jean.

Jean looked up at the young nurse. "Did he say anything before he-" Jean's voice cracked and he buried his face again.

"No," the woman said, sympathy lathering her voice. "Everything happened too fast." Jean nodded and the nurse left him on the ground, tears springing from his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Back in Sasha's living room~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You okay?" Sasha asked, slightly concerned in Jean's sudden movement.

Jean nodded. "Hey, I don't think I thanked you for letting me stay at your place while I'm in town."

Sasha shook her head. "Don't worry about it."

Jean smiled. "So when's the wedding?"

Suddenly Connie burst into the room tying his tie. "Let's go." He said hastily, trying desperately to avoid the topic.

"Alright." Sasha said plainly. Connie rushed out of the door and got into his car. Jean and Sasha followed slowly.

Jean got in the back seat. "Don't be nervous." Sasha said turning around in her seat to look at him. Jean couldn't help it. It had been five years since they had graduated high school, and he wasn't at the place he expected himself to be at in his career. He was in a few magazines, did a couple of commercials for small companies.

He shrugged and leaned back. "Can you turn on some music?" He asked in an attempt to calm himself. Without a word Connie turned on the radio. Suddenly the car was filled with country music. Jean laughed. "Really Connie?"

"What?" Connie asked defensively. "I like country." Jean and Sasha rolled their eyes and the trio drove the rest of the way in silence, with nothing but the soft, heart-felt beat of the country music coming through the radio.

"Alright, we're here." Connie said rolling into the high school's parking lot. The three jumped out and walked to the entrance together. Jean was surprised to see Reiner standing in the doorway. Jean wasn't too terribly popular in school, but he recognized Reiner, the quarter back of the football team. Reiner seemed to be waiting for someone impatiently.

Connie walked up to the giant man. "Hey Reiner." He said giving him a bro hug.

Reiner smiled. "Hey baldy." He replied.

Jean laughed and leaned in to whisper to Sasha. "I forgot Connie used to be on the football team."

Sasha giggled. "I forgot that they called him baldy." They both laughed hysterically. Connie glared at them and went inside. "Aww now he's mad." She teased and went inside after him. Jean sighed and began to follow her.