Chapter 9

"Why were we in such a hurry?" Clary asked, catching her breath as Jace finally stopped pulling her after him and he laughed.

"We're not in a hurry, I just wanted to show you what it's like to not be so serious all the time." He said grinning and Clary scowled at him.

"I'm not serious all the time." She mumbled as she looked around. They had ran to the beach. There were only few people sitting on the benches and birds walking and flying around. The sun was about to go down and it was already pretty low, glowing over the sea.

"Ahah, prove it." Jace said suddenly, snapping Clary out of her thoughts and she turned to him, seeing him smirking at her.

"How do you suggest I prove it to you?" She asked and he shrugged, looking innocent.

"You should know. I mean if you're not serious all the time, you should know something fun to do." He pointed out and Clary chewed the inside of her cheek, thinking. Then she took her bag off her shoulder and handed it to Jace who raised his brows. Then she took off her shoes and put them inside her bag that Jace was still holding and straightened up. She gave him a cheerful smile and then walked to the waterline. She looked down at the water that kept coming in waves, watering the already wet sand. Then She rolled up her jeans and walked into the water, it was completely warm after the hot day and the burning sun and the sand under her feet was soft and comfortable. She glanced at Jace who was standing behind her on the sand, both of their bags swung over his shoulder and looking quite amused.

"Wow, aren't you a rascal." He said with a sarcastic tone.

"Come on, give me some credit. If I was completely serious and boring, I wouldn't wanna get my feet wet." Clary said, pointing at her feet that were under the water up to her knees.

"Fine, you're not completely serious and boring."

"That's all I get? Not completely serious and boring?"

"What did you expect?"

"I don't know, something like 'Wow, Clary. You're so awesome and not serious and boring at all!'."

"That's how you expected me to react after you took few steps in the water?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you."

"Asshole..." Clary mumbled and Jace raised his brows.

"Language!" He said, looking like he was horrified and Clary scowled at him.

"Besides, I don't see you even near the water, so you shouldn't be judging for afar." She pointed out and Jace narrowed his eyes at her.

"Is that a challenge?" He asked and Clary shrugged.

"Only if you take it." She said smiling and Jace returned the gesture.

"I certainly wouldn't refuse." He said then and put down their bags, kicking off his shoes, folding up his jeans and walked in to the water next to her. "Happy?" He asked then, crossing his arms over her chest and Clary smiled cheerfully.

"Extremely." She said, still smiling as she looked up at him. The light of the setting sun made his golden eyes seem even more glowing that normally and Clary just stared for a while.

"You know what?" Jace asked then, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"What?" She asked and he wrinkled his nose, looking quite adorable.

"It gets a bit chilly when you just stand it the water." He said then, his expression turning into a smirk and Clary already knew what he was about to do.

"Nah, I'm fine. It's perfectly warm." She said, shrugging casually.

"Are you sure? 'Cause some people say that moving helps you keep warm." He said smiling and Clary shook her head.

"I don't need to move." She said and Jace shrugged.

"Whatever you want. I do." He said and then quickly layed back, falling to the water from his neck down.

"You're an idiot." Clary said laughing and he shrugged.

"Perhaps. You should try to be an idiot too, it's surprisingly fun." He said and Clary crossed her arms over her chest.

"No way." She said and he smiled, tilting his head a bit.

"Live a little." He said and Clary narrowed her eyes at him.

"You're not getting me in the water." She said and Jace raised his brows.

"Wanna bet?" He asked and Clary realized what he was about to do, but it was too late.

"No!" She shrieked as Jace grabbed her hands, pulling her to the water with him. It was surprisingly comfortable, after the warm day, but she wasn't gonna let him get off the hook just like that. She moved her hands around, kicking poorly, making it look like she didn't really know how to do it and quickly dipped her head under the water. "Jace!" She yelled and coughed. "I can't swim!" She said, doing her best to sound panicked and coughed some more water. She saw his amused expression turned into a serious one and did her best to hide her own amusement. He wrapped his arms around her quickly and dragged her towards the sand and soon her feet reached the ground again. She stood up quickly and grinned. "Got ya." She said smiling and Jace froze, his arms tensing around her and then he pushed her away from him quickly.

"Who's the asshole now!" He said and Clary laughed.

"I had to teach you not to fool with me!" She said, trying to control her laughter.

"That was not funny!" Jace said, throwing water at her.

"Yes it was! You totally went for it!" Clary said, throwing water back at him, but he didn't seem to even notice it.

"Of course I went for it! I thought you were about to drown!" He said, sounding horrified and Clary could see his pulse pounding on his neck. She had really succeeded in her plan to scare him.

"Maybe I should consider a career as an actress, I was probably pretty convincing." She said, smiling cheerfully. Jace let out a sigh and layed back on the water.

"Way too convincing." He mumbled and Clary let herself fall to the water too.

"I can't say I'm too sorry about it, it was worth it after all. I hope you learned something." She said grinning as she turned to him. Jace stared up at the sky for a while, before turning back to her.

"I definitely did."