Ch. 16

Alison's POV:

The next day we made a plan: Hermionie would bring the time-turner to Dumbledore's office so we could go back to the day of the incident. Then I would go down and push Draco into catching me while Dumbledore made sure no-one interfeared with Ron upstairs. Then once Draco catches me I run off so he could catch Dumbledore. After that time will be set the way we want it and I can go back to my regular life in the future.

It seemed pretty simple but I was terrified. What happened it we failed? I was almost setting myself up for death.

After a restless night of sleep I decided to go for a walk. Making sure to shut the door extra-loud to wake Pansy up, I headed to the lake. Sitting down on a cold stone bench, I shivered, forgetting to bring a jacket. Twisting my old black boots into the sand, I wondered what my life would be like if I was a muggle, or at any extent, never met Draco.

My life had been nothing but ups and downs since I met him. Sometimes he made me feel so special, but other times I thought his heart was as black as the midnight sky above me. The stars sparkled like diamonds, so close they were just out of my reach.

Suddenley I heard a crackling noise behind me. I jumped, and reached for my wand. Realizing I had forgotten it in my dormroom, I decided to just give up.

"Ok, you got me" I said with my hands above my head. The figure stepped out of the darkness. My face twisted into suprise when I realized it was Draco.

"Alison, what are you doing here?" he asked, bewildered. I rolled my eyes. "Oh, i'm sorry, am I not allowed to sit on this bench? Here my Lord, please take it as a peace offering." There was a tone of venim in my voice. I realized that I was really mad at Draco for basically ignoring my for the past month. I mocked bowing and decided to find another spot along the black lakeside.

"Wait!" he said as I walked away.

I paused hearing how tired and vulnerable he sounded. I turned around and saw that there were dark circles under his eyes and he looked so pale, like the sun had not emersed itself onto his skin in weeks.

But still I remembered how he hurt me, and how whatever we had would most likely blow up in my face anyhow. "Save it Malfoy, I don't want to hear any of the shit that comes out of your mouth."

He winced, looing hurt and defeated. Part of me wanted to run over ot him and comfort him, to make sure that he was ok. But instead of doing that, instead of running back to him, I made a final desicion to close myself off to Draco, once and for all.

*******

I walked for hours until I made it to Hogsmeade, not wanting to sit by the lake anymore. Not wanting to pop into my regular restaurant incase any teachers were up late 'grading papers', I decided to try this tiny bar called Cross My Wands. Stepping inside, I immediatley smelled stale butterbeer and dust. The place was mostly empty, except or the bartender and a few people who were clearly regulars. I sat down in a booth in the corner that had a small lamp covered with cobwebs. A pang of sadness emerssed me and I once again regretted leaving Draco.

"Late night, huh?" A voice suddenly appeared next to me, belonging to a tall handsome guy about my age.

"You wouldn't believe it" I said, half smiling.

"I'm Chester" he said cockily and slid into my booth. "And you must be Alison." Suddenly I tensed up. "How do you know my name?" I said, alerted. He just laughed. "Isn't it you who submits those poems to The Daily Prophet?" I gasped. "You read those?" I said.

NERD ALERT: I secretly write poetry. I know, emberassing! But I love it. SInce none of my friends read the poetry section of the newd, I decided to submit last year. Every moth they always choose my peices to be featured. I'd never met anyone who has ever read them (including my parents). Well, until now anyway.

"Of couse!" replied Chester. "My dad's into poetry and all that jazz, so I decided to start reading the Daily Prophet to find inspiration for him. Of course, I usually only read it to hear you." He was blushing. Heck, I was blushing too.

"That's so sweet!" I said. He smiled. "Really? I thought I was going to come of a little stockerish." I laughed. "It's fine, siriously!" We smiled at eachother, and I realized what great features Chester had. His eyes were a clear blue and his face jutted out, making it look like he had a perfect chin. His hair was clean cut, and he was wearing all black tonight. 

I realized we were still staring at eachother, so I looked away. "I have to go" I said, knowing that if I returned to my dorm any later, I would never wake up in time for my mission.

He frowned. "Well, will I see you tomorrow?" he asked politley. I blushed. Even from our short conversation, I could tell that Chester was nothing like Draco. He was sweet, polite, and obviously had a good taste of poets. 

I smiled. "Sure." I mean, it wouldn't hurt if I snuck out of Hogwarts again, right? He grinned. "Wel,, I'll see you then." He helped me out of the booth and kissed my hand. I was eccentric.

He led me to the door and held it open for me. SUCH a gentleman. 

I evaporated to right outside of Hogwarts as it started to lightly snow. Maybe this would be the beginning of a future for me, one that was bright and clear.