Chapter 1

Panchito held his breath.

He didn't want to get his hopes up, as he supposed the Americans would say, but there was just something about this amulet that seemed to pull him in...attracted was the best way he could describe it though in the same way as you greet a family member you miss rather than a moth drawn to a flame. It was strange yet familiar and try as he might, he couldn't forget how he felt that the amulet almost responded to him, how sometimes he'd feel as though a friend had come to sit down next to him, or how he thought he saw the figure of a parrot out of the corner of his eye.

It was so familiar....almost like...... The Mexican let out a shaky breath. That experience had all been so disconnected, like a dream. Or a nightmare. It all felt like it happened in the blink of an eye, as if José was there one second and the next...... the amulet was all that was left. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Panchito got back to the task at hand. He gave a silent prayer as he looked down at the amulet around his neck. Cupping his hands around the artefact, he took a moment to admire the glowing gem set into gold. He hadn't missed the green illuminating the jewel, tinged with a brilliant blue in its centre. The rooster sighed before speaking up. "Zé?" he questioned, trying his best to keep the desperation that bubbled furiously in the bottom of his stomach out of his voice, "You there amigo?" He tried his best to regulate his breathing. "If youre there...." No response. ".....Please don't hide" his voice cracked on the second to last syllable.

That was it.

He was all alone.

His friend was gone.

He was really gone.

Never to laugh again

.

Never to cry again.

Never to see ag-

The amulet glowed more and more, it's emerald light shining ever brighter. Until it reached his shadow.

-------

A/N:

I'm not sure whether or not I'll finsh this