Chapter 4

[Notes found in the envelope retrieved by the trash bin]

Dear friend,
If you found this letter, it means that you've been accepted into the Burden of Breaking Hearts club. If you are wondering about your application, you don't need to worry: there's no need for members to apply at all. We distribute these letters, along with the internal rules of the club, on a regular basis: every month, ten of these notes are issued.

To confirm that received it, please sign this note and leave a reply under your signature, stating that you officially joined this club. Make sure to keep it away from indiscrete eyes and not to lose it, or else your membership will be instantly revoked and you won't be able to be chosen for any future application.

That said, thank you for your attention.

The President in Charge
David Kemplin

***

The Burden of Breaking Hearts Club
Internal regulation:

1. This is a club that is to be considered as an extracurricular activity, which is to be set at after-school hours, between 4 and 6pm. However, there might be exception, for there could be events that require a longer or shorter presence period based on their duration.

2. This club and its activities are going to take place at Room 203, in the main building, which is situated on the fourth floor. Any changes will be communicated at least 24 hours early on our Facebook page, our Discord server and our other social media. You can find us on Tumblr, Twitter and Instagram, as well.

3. Make sure to follow our social media in order to be up to date with our events and to read our newsletter; also, please leave your e-mail and/or phone number so that we are able to communicate properly with you. Failure to do so might result in us having to revoke your membership until (or unless) you fix this.

4. Our meetings will be held on Friday afternoons at the allotted hour as stated previously at rule number 1. Tardiness won't be accepted unless there are valid reasons and you inform the President and the remainder of the club members in a timely manner. Failure to do so might result in your membership being suspended until you redeem yourself; if this happens ten times overall, you will be asked to leave the club.

5. Every year a President, a Vice President and two Assistants—whose duties consist on setting the monthly budget, planning events and reporting any irregularities to the President and the Vice President—are elected through a poll system. Everyone is required to vote, and it is forbidden to vote oneself. Failure to follow the voting system regulation may result in us having to revoke your membership.

6. In this club, only single people are accepted, preferably struggling with dating and relationships. We are willing to help you with every means, but it is advised to be honest about your love life as we send new members a questionnaire that they must fill in and send us back anonymously. We're going to check your answers: if you're caught lying, you'll be asked to leave the club immediately.

7. Since this club is for people struggling in love only, if you manage to get into a solid relationship with another member or with anyone outside the club, your membership won't be renewed at the end of the month when the regular monthly check-in is performed. Afterwards, you won't be allowed to enter this club anymore, unless you break up with your partner before the end of your school years.

8. Every two months, four "lucky people" (usually two boys and two girls, but it's possible that three boys and a girl or viceversa are picked) are chosen to go on special dates organized by the President, the Vice President and their Assistants. It is forbidden to mention about those dates to the remainder of the school body until the end of the date, or else your membership may be suspended until you redeem yourself or revoked.

9. If you manage to renew your membership for more than one year, you'll be promoted to VIP Member and will be able to enjoy privileges that include: the right of sitting with the President, the Vice President and their Assistants, more chances to increase your popularity and the possibility to join trips and special events with them. In case you misbehave or break any rules, however, you'll be stripped of your VIP status and your membership may be revoked.

10. In case you want to take a break from or leave the club, you must write a note and send it to the President and the Vice President or, alternatively, you can inform them of your decision through a private message on Facebook, Instagram or via their WhatsApp contacts. In case you fail to follow any of these steps, you won't be eligible for future applications.

***

The Burden of Breaking Hearts Club
Questionnaire for new members

1. How old are you and what year are you in? 17
[] Freshman
[] Sophomore
[✓] Junior
[] Senior

2. What did you expect from this club? To be honest, I don't really know. Perhaps a chill place where to discuss about dating and relationship and nothing intricate like that with rules and all that jazz. I mean, there are a lot of them.

3. Do you think that this application system is efficient? I just find it confusing. A probation system with tests and stuff like that would be far more helpful than this.

4. Do you know any of the other members of the club? The question is, do they know me? Are they actually keen in realizing that people like me also exist? I bet they're all self-centered and full of themselves, and I can't stand that.

5. Have you heard of this club before? No, and I don't really care. Seriously. This all seems a trap.

6. Where did you find your application letter? I found it behind a trash bin in the girls' toilet. Seriously, who's so perverse to hid it there?

7. Do you expect to make friends here? No. No-one is interested in making friends with me and I'm not interested in making friends, especially if your club is packed with judgemental bitches.

8. Do you expect to find love here? Do you really think I'm desperate? Okay, I've never dated before, but I don't need your help to find love. What are you, a dating agency?

9. What matters to you the most in love? People need to be honest with me and accept me as I am. I don't like people trying to change me.

10. Have you ever dated or had a crush on anyone? No. Never. No-one has ever been interested in me.

Thank you for answering our short questionnaire. Make sure not to sign it and not to lose it, or else your membership will be revoked.