#Mr.Empty

[Mr.Empty]
And then I felt sad because I realized that once people are broken in certain ways, they can't ever be fixed, and this is something nobody tells you when you are young.
–Douglas Coupland, Life After God
*****

That night my mind decided to plague me with the nightmares of my life. Each scene that played through my head more twisted and angry. Scenes of Dunbar, of Zoe's body, and then Brandon. I gasped awake and groaned, my head was pounding. Last night I wanted to drink until I couldn't remember anything. I think last night is something I'll never forget though. Why? Why did he have to say it now?
    I didn't know if I loved Brandon, I cared for him yes, but love I wasn't sure. How did you even know if you loved someone? Could I even still love someone after what I've been through? I shook my head before putting on some clothes and grabbing my phone. I definitely didn't want to be here when Trevor or Brandon woke up. Brandon had stayed the night after my little break down. He was curled up on the couch sleeping.
     He looked peaceful and that was the first time my heart fluttered at the sight of him since he came back. I gave a sad smile before I walked out the door. I went to the brew and sat at a table enjoying some much needed coffee. My phone chimed and my brows furrowed.
From: King_Cobra
Your boyfriend stayed over last night I see, hope he and the sibling are okay.
I ground my teeth together when my phone chimed again and I got two messages from Trevor saying he needed help. I stood up quickly and left the brew. When I threw open the door I heard shouting and gunfire. I walked into the living room seeing Brandon and Trevor playing video games. "What the hell Trevor?"
"Chill sis," Trevor said and my eyes widened even more. That's it I was going to kill him. Brandon paused his game and then looked up at me with a smirk.
"Is she my birthday present? Trev I told you not to get me anything," Brandon said nudging him.
"That's it I'm leaving," I said turning around.
"No!" Trevor shouted climbing over the couch and walking toward me, "Stay, please. Look I knew you wouldn't come if I told you he was gonna be here."
"You're damn right Trevor," I said turning around as Brandon picked something up.
"Stay with us Aspen," Brandon said in a raspy voice and then threw Fishy at me.
I caught it saying, "You went into my room?"
"Yeah I figured after last night you wouldn't mind," he said winking.
"Oh shut up I was drunk. And seriously Trevor I thought something was wrong," I said.
"There is. Look having my pseudo-sister and best friend fight is the worst. And you guys are trying to figure out the same thing, so help each other," Trevor said.
"Yeah how about no," I answered throwing the stuffed animal back at Brandon who dropped it.
"Brandon knows how to find King Cobra," Trevor said.
"What?" I stopped, she was dead, King Cobra was dead.
"We've still been getting messages from him," I sighed thinking about the text earlier.
"I know Zoe's boyfriends name, well his first name," Brandon said stepping toward me.
"What is it?" I asked suspiciously. I might have had an idea what his last name was.
"Oh I thought we weren't going to work together," Brandon smirked and I rolled my eyes. Glad to see his little confession last night hadn't changed his attitude.
"Does it start with an L?" I asked.
Brandon furrowed his eyebrows asking, "How did you know?"
"Then I know his last name," I answered him raising my chin.
He stepped forward again saying, "Lance."
"Broadly," I finished with a grin.
"And voila," Trevor said throwing out his hands.
"Hey Trevor," I said as he turned to me I hit him, "Don't ever fucking scare me like that again."
"Okay damn woman," he said rubbing his arm. I went up to my room and grabbed the book Rowan gave me and went downstairs. I threw the book down on the table.
"Lance broadly was the last person to check out this book, so I guessed the letter L," I said.
"Clever girl," Brandon said looking at me with a smirk. I looked at him before looking away again. It feels like we've went back a couple steps in our relationship.
"Have you found anything yet?" I asked Trevor who was scoping through his laptop.
"No Lance broadly, no social media. Who doesn't have an insta?" Trevor said and I rolled my eyes.
"Me Trevor," I said looking back at the book. I turned a few pages before showing him where a piece was ripped out. "Look, this is the page where the piece was torn out see?" I said fingering the rip. I then took out the page and lined it up with it.
"Okay so Lance broadly checks out a book from the library, a book Zoe has read before. He tears out a specific line and sends it to her. Why?"Brandon asked looking up at me. I didn't know how to answer so I flipped through the pages before stopping.
"Wait look," I said pointing to writing. Mr. Mt 1080x5139.
"What is it?" Brandon asked and I shrugged.
"I don't know," I answer truthfully. I looked at Trevor who was walking toward us.
"Let me see it," he said looking at the book.
"Maybe if we figure out who Lance broadly is, we can get answers about Zoe," Brandon said.
"It's a phone number," Trevor said holding up his phone.
"Lets call it," Brandon said pulling out his own phone.
"Wait," I started to say but Brandon cut me off.
"Why?" He asked still dialing the number.
"Because we need a plan dumbass," I said rolling my eyes. Brandon hit dial anyways and I threw my hands up as the phone clicked signaling someone answered. Brandon put his finger to his mouth.
     "Hello," a woman's voice said from the other end.
     "Hey, I got a new phone who's this?" Brandon asked.
     "It's Allison, who are you?" The woman asked suspiciously.
     "It's Lance, Lance broadly," Brandon replied. Suddenly the line went dead.
     "Nice going dumbass," I replied shaking my head and rolling my eyes.
      "What was I suppose to do then Aspen?" Brandon asked looking toward me.
     "Not that," I replied giving him a glare.
     "I'm sorry okay," Brandon said.
      "When are you leaving again?" I asked before turning on my heel and walking off.
     "Seriously Aspen I'm sorry," Brandon said catching my arm.
    I whirled around pointing my finger to his chest, "Sorry doesn't fix everything Brandon, you messed up." Brandon stood there stunned and I walked up to my room.

—•—•—