#Runaway

[#Runaway]
Life is the art of dying
–Atticus
*****

      I was standing in the cold watching as an ambulance carted off Nicki's body. Rowan, Hailey, and I were huddled together in fear. "I keep hearing everyone say it was suicide. But I don't believe that, she promised," Rowan said looking at us.
    "The last time we talked, she gave me this lecture on my overdose and how selfish it was. Do you think King Cobra did this?" Hailey asked as a tear ran down her face.
    "Maybe," I muttered still blanking at the scene. It was just like seeing the ambulance here once before.
    "Or it could've been Elisia, she really believes that Nicki killed her parents," Rowan said. I looked at Rowan in surprise, she didn't actually think Elisia could have done this? Suddenly someone's phone pinged. It wasn't until Rowan and Hailey were staring at me that I realized it was mine.
From: King_Cobra
Her death looked like a suicide. Watch out!
      I gasped before looking up at the others. They were staring at the tree that had three people in bird masks standing under it. I grabbed their arms, "Go let's go." We turned before rushing away. When we got far enough I breathed a sigh of relief and we all walked home. I walked into the house seeing an apology note from my father. I sighed taking it off the table and going upstairs to my room.
     I changed before taking out my phone. I typed in Brandon's number before groaning and throwing my phone at the end of the bed. Just then my phone dinged. I picked it up cautiously.
From:King_Cobra
we can meet on one condition, one dies.
      I jumped up before texting the girls to tell them to meet me at Stingers. At this rate I was never going to get a moment alone. When I got there the others asked what was going on and I explained. After explaining we all sat down in the bench pews. Elisia was reading the half written apology letter.
"So nicki was murdered by king Cobra, but it was made to look like a suicide?" Elisia questioned.
"Or she actually killed herself," I said
"What happened last night?" Rowan asked.
"I went to her house," Elisia stated.
"Did you see anything?" Hailey asked.
"No," Elisia shook her head.
"Did you do anything?" Rowan asked.
"You mean like shoot her?"Elisia said, "No I watched her through her window. She was alone."
"Where's the gun Elisia?" I questioned hoping she still didn't have it.
"It's back in Jakes drawer," she said before she started to cry, "I don't know what I was thinking. All I keep hearing in my head is 'I didn't kill my parents, I didn't kill my parents'. It's like everything and nothing at the same time. It doesn't bring them back." I reached over and squeezed her hand.
    "If king cobra can do this to nicki, then he needs to be stopped. I have a plan," Rowan said looking at the note.
   "Well," I say.
    "Stinger," Rowan calls.
     "Yeah?" He asks.
      "Can you build us a bomb?" She questions.
     "Your sister did not give me a proper heads up about you guys," stinger replied. For the next few hours we went over the plan and made sure it was full proof. That night I put on the deer mask Hailey had made and followed after Elisia. She pretended to not notice and I videoed me pressing the button. It "stuck" so I pressed it again and hear an explosion.
    When I got around the corner Elisia was lying on the ground. She really did look dead. After I sent it to King Cobra I hopped in the van with Hailey, Rowan, Elisia, and stinger. We drove to elisia's house where we made sure to keep her until it was over. "You sent the video to King Cobra?" Elisia asked.
"Yeah, it was a flash so it'll disappear. I asked him to meet me," I said. Elisia then switched off her phone.
"Are you sure I have to turn it off?" She asked Rowan.
"They could be tracing our phones. Stinger said they might be," Rowan told her.
"Don't turn it back on, no matter what, if they figure out you're alive, we're in trouble," Hailey said.
"We know they watch us. Okay no calls, no lights, no contact. You can't leave," Rowan said.
"For how long?" Elisia asked.
"When we find out who king cobra is, you can come back to life," I told her.
"Something's going on with ash, and if he hears that something happened to me,"
Hailey cut her off saying, "I'll go call him."
"Wait no you can't. They could be tracing our calls guys. Remember that," Rowan said.
"We'll talk to him, I promise," I told Elisia giving her a hug.
"Thanks," she muttered.
"Yeah and we'll come check up on you every couple hours. Get you whatever you need," Hailey offered.
"I hope this works," Elisia said and so did I.
"We'll go to the brew now, see if we can find Ash," Rowan said.
"Stay safe guys, all of you. Aspen be careful," Elisia said.
"Promise," I smiled patting her shoulder.
"Just remember your dead," Rowan said as we all said goodbye and left. When we got to the brew I looked around but saw no sign of ash.
"I don't think he's here guys," I said looking at Hailey and Rowan.
"Hey Aspen are you sure you're the one who wants to meet King Cobra?" Hailey asked.
"Yeah are you?" Rowan also asked.
"Guys I'll be fine I promise," I said giving them a reassuring smile. "Maybe we should check the grotto?" I asked.
"Yeah use the back exit," Rowan told me. I nodded and followed after the two. When we walked past a table I looked over and connected eyes with Brandon. I wanted to say something, tell him I made a mistake, that I was sorry, but all I could do was force a smile. He barely even looked at me and I sighed continuing to walk to the exit.
When we got to the back parking lot it was pretty dark and we could hardly see anything. Suddenly two bright lights shown in their path. All three of us looked up in fear as the engine revved. My arms moved of their own accord as I pushed Hailey and Rowan out of the way to safety. I started to run fear coursing through every vein in my body.
The car was gaining on me I could feel it. I wanted to stop to just get it over with but I knew I had to keep going. For everyone else I had to try to make it. Suddenly a body clashed with mine as we both were breathing heavy and the car sped past us. I looked up realizing it was Brandon Darrow. Brandon Darrow had just saved me.

—•—•—