what a time (40s' Bucky x Reader)

A/N *When the text is in italics, it's the interactions between Y/N and Bucky or the memories, you could say, of Y/N with Bucky.*

1943

A knock sounds at the door and I spin around, looking at it, a smile creeping up on my rouged lips as I check the time. Perfectly on time.

I saunter to the door, my heels clicking on the wooden floors, my skirts swishing around me, and open it, greeting the handsome gentleman at the doorstep.

"Evenin', doll," he flashes me a flirtatious smile and I kiss his cheek, "You ready, sweetheart?"

I turn back and call out, "Ma! I'm goin' out with Bucky!"

Ma's voice yells back, "That rascal kid from around the block?!"

Bucky chuckles and replies, "Yes, ma'am, it's me." His head peeks around the doorway and sees my ma; arms folded with a strict look on her face.

"You take care of her, Barnes, and no funny business." Ma orders, glaring us down.

I huff, "'Course not, ma!"

He gives her one of his charming smiles and loops an arm around my waist, "She's in safe hands, Missus." He looks down at me with a gentle smile and then looks back at my mother.

"You come back before midnight otherwise I'll be sendin' your brother after you!" Ma threatens, but she sounds softer and kinder than usual, normally she's as harsh and hard as rocks.

"Yes, ma'am." Bucky tips his cap at my ma before grabbing my coat from the coat hanger from the inside of the door before closing it.

As the door closes behind us, we start laughing, excited for our day out.

"Geez, I thought your ma would never let you leave," Bucky grins as he helps me shrug on my coat.

I nod, "Me too, I think she was about to stop me from leavin' forever but guess I misjudged her mood."

Bucky lets out a breathy snort, sounding kinda like a laugh and giggle mixed together with a cough.

James Buchanan (Bucky) Barnes is some guy, I can tell you that. A real ladies' man, flirtin' with just about any gal out there. But who can blame 'im when he's got those looks? Clean cut and smart lookin', nice black hair that could be considered shaggy if he let it grow out and piercing blue eyes. I swear, they could stare into your soul if you let them.

Bucky and I became friends at the Flamingo Bar, when 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' began playing and everyone was jumpin' up and down and swingin' around to the beat. Bucky came over to buy me a drink and we somehow became friends from then.

"Where's Stevie?" I question, searching for the blond haired boy.

Bucky shrugged, "Steve didn't want to be a bother. Wanted to leave us some space."

I pout, "Poor Steve...you know, I bet if you let me get one of my friends to come with us to the Stark Expo, Steve could have her as his date!" I exclaim, ideas forming in my head, "I hate seein' him so lonesome all the time."

Bucky grinned down at me, "That's a nice idea, doll. Yeah, I'm sure I could wrangle up some tickets..."

We share a smile as we cook up a plan to get our friend a date.

1947

"Y/N...are you sure you want to do this? You still have time to back out." Peggy assures me, a worried look on her face as she sees me step into the machine.