Wednesday

Today was a beautiful day, so Eliana and I rode our bikes home after school.

"So how'd it go with Shawn last night?" Eliana asked.

"It was great actually," I replied, proceeding to tell her everything that happened last night.

I told her how suspicious Shawn was acting, such as when he kept looking at me during the movie or the way he was smirking when I told Carrie we'd make pretty princesses. I also told her how he tensed up when I hugged him.

"Oh my God Kat," Eliana said with a smile. "Did you know Shawn tenses up when a girl he likes gets so close to him?"

I lost balance and nearly fell off my bike.

"Wait he does? How do you know?"

"Because I've seen him hug a girl he liked last year. He tensed up so much that he looked like a damn tree. Also I hug him all the time and he doesn't tense up at all. So I'm thinking Shawn definitely likes you. Or at least is interested in you. Well, that's kinda the same thing isn't it? Or do they mean diff-"

"Ellie," I interrupted.

"Sorry."

"Besides, I highly doubt he likes me that way," I said a little quietly.

"Umm, hello? You said he was constantly looking at you last night. Also why was he smirking after you called yourself pretty? I'm pretty sure he's agreeing with you, Kathryn. Wake up and smell the love!" said Eliana.

"Okay. Well I guess we'll just find out tonight," I said with a smirk.

"I guess we will."

When I got home, I decided to test the theory that Shawn likes me by changing into some cuter clothes. I wondered if he was going to stare at me more than he did last night or maybe say something about my outfit. I couldn't wait to find out.

I arrived at the Nolands house that evening, a million thoughts running in my head. What if Eliana was right? Does Shawn actually tense up when girls he likes hug him? Or was she just saying that to hype me up? What if he tenses up when literally anybody hugs him? Maybe he's just not a fan of hugging.

The door opened before I even got a chance to knock. Carrie stood at the doorway, smiling.

"Kathryn!!!" she exclaimed and ran up to hug me.

"Hi Carrie! How did you know I was here?" I said with a laugh.

"I saw you coming through the window! Come in! Me, Jack, and Shawn are gonna make cookies!"

I followed Carrie inside the house and to the kitchen.

"I like your skirt. It's so cute," said Carrie.

"Thank you."

When we reached the kitchen, I saw Jack and Shawn placing cookie dough on a tray.

"Kathryn," Shawn said, giving me a nod.

Jack walked over to give me a hug, with flour and cookie dough all over his hands and apron.

"It's best if you don't touch her before washing your hands Jack," Shawn warned. "You don't wanna ruin her pretty outfit."

I felt my face get hot.

"Oh," said Jack, turning around and walking back over to Shawn.

"So..." I said a little awkwardly. "What kind of cookies are we making?"

"Chocolate chip, sugar, and snickerdoodle," Jack replied.

"Chocolate chip's in the oven," said Shawn. "So when that oven beeps, would you be so nice to take them out? And we already prepared the sugar cookies, so put the them in the oven too."