Chapter Twenty Four

Börja om från början

  Clapping hands were heard as I got down from the stage. The spotlight kept following me as I made my way towards Valerie like it wanted to know what would happen.

  Valerie was bursting in tears, covering her mouth with her hand. I hugged her and she mumbled, "Why did you do that?" she said that not because she was emberassed and dissapointed that I'd done it for her, it was more like that she didn't expect what I did coming.

  "I love you," I said. Everyone's eyes were on me.

  "Oh, my God. Ben," she said. "I love you, too."

  Everyone was still staring at us with aww-faces. I didn't know whether I should be happy about it or not because I love Valerie so much. The spotlight was above us but I didn't care because I love Valerie so much. And I would do anything for Valerie because I love Valerie so much, just like she would wear her dress for me this night.

***

  We ate turkey and roasted potato, which were really good, and then, the next thing Valerie wanted was to dance. So we did. It was a good slow-dancing with kisses sharing, laughters, and smiles between it, making it look even better.

  "We should plan our first date," I said softly to her while she rested her head on my chest. "Where do you want?"

  "Something different," she said.

  "Different, eh?"

  "Yes," she mumbled. "Ben."

  "Hey. You okay?"

  "I'm just tired. Are you happy, Ben?"

  I planted a light kiss on her forehead and whispered, "Are you?"

  She hit my shoulder. "I asked you first."

  "If you are happy, then I am happy," I answered simply and she smiled. She often smiles because of million simple things. "Let's go home."

  I laced my hand with hers as she rested her head on my shoulder. We walked out of the gym and waved goodbye to a few friends, making our way straight in the hallway.

  "This is the best night of my life," she said.

  "Mine, too."

  We stopped walking in the middle of our way to my locker and we started kissing, with my hands on her waist and her hands on my chest, pulling my collarbone to get me closer.

  "Yo!" someone said behind us. "What are you two doing? Making out?" We both pulled away in a shock and we turned to the voice.

  "Jeremy?" Valerie said. "What are you doing here?"

  Why this boy was always around.

  "This is my school. What about you?"

  "Ben invited me." I held Valerie's hand and kept her close to me. But she grabbed Valerie by the arm and pulled her away from me.

  "Hey, man. What do you want?" I said, walking closer to him and wanting my girl back.

  Valerie clearly tried to shove his hand off her but she couldn't. "I want her," he said. "What do you want?"

  "I want you to get your hands off her," I said easily.

  "Why?"

 "She's my girlfriend."

 "And that makes you a boyfriend now?" He laughed but his laugh hit the wrong notes of laughter.

  "Jesus, you're drunk. How many glasses have you drunk?"

  "More than twenty, I guess."

  "I notice," I said. "How many girls have you kissed?"

  "Three," he said. "And she is going to be my fourth." He kissed her cheek but Valerie stepped back in order to get away. I felt like everything inside of me was going to explode. But I tried to stay calm.

  "Look, Jer, you may seem drunk and maybe you really are but I guess you're pretty conscious to listen to me."

  "All right."

  Valerie fought her hands off of him, tried to shove his hands off but Jeremy surely was stronger than her.

  "Get your hands off her."

  "Why? She wants me."

  "If I want you, I wouldn't be with him right now," Valerie pointed. And that shut Jeremy instantly. I grabbed Valerie's hand from her grip and shoved him off.

  I felt winning again.

  "Fuck you," he said before walking away from us.

  It shocked me and Valerie. I pulled her into a tight hug. "I'm sorry," she said. "I can't believe I've ever dated him." I thought she was crying but I was wrong.

  I didn't say anything. I was out of words. "He's drunk. He can't think straight, let alone speak. He's drunk. I can tell."

  "I can't cry. He's not worth my tears," she said into my chest.

  "That's right."

  She pulled away and I looked into her eyes. "All good?" I asked.

  She nodded. "Yes."

  "Put this on," I said, holding out her coat, and she put it on. Then she took off her heels and carried them with her hand. We walked hand in hand to the front door of my school. We were the first to go home.

  I stopped in the porch outside my school. The wind was hard and really death cold, like it was going to freeze all the organs inside my body. My feet were shaking of the cold, I was sure Valerie too.

  "Put your shoes on," I said.

  Valerie shrugged. "They're not shoes, Ben," she said. "They are freaking torturing heels. They're hurting my feet."

  "Just for awhile, Valerie. It's cold outside. Your feet will be sensitive with all the rocks and pebbles on the road. Wait, I got an idea."

  I knelt down on my knees and took my formal shoes off, leaving only my socks wrapping my feet. I took Valerie's right foot and she fought back. "What are you doing?" she asked.

  "Wear my shoes," I said, looking up to her.

  Then, she followed my words. I put my shoes on her feet. Her feet were cold against me. I knew my shoes were too big for her but at least, she wouldn't get hurt. I stood back up on my feet and looked at her, hugging herself. She looked down at her feet, then at mine. Our breaths were visible in the dark cold night. Then, I grabbed her hand, entwined it with mine, and whispered, "Your hand looks best entwined with mine." She smiled and shoved both our hands inside her coat pocket.

  As we were both cold, we gave warmth to each other while walking to my car. My feet were shaking as we ran-walking to my car. But at least, in a cold night, we completed each other.