(6) - Support Group Sessions

When Ana unlocked her apartment door that evening, she heard chairs scrape the floor and the soft patter of feet as they sped towards the genkan. To her surprise, it was Jon who opened the door.

“Jon?” Ana was confused, for one thing he didn't live here, and far more importantly, it was Friday. Jon was usually busy partying in Shinjuku ni-chome on Friday nights.

He gave her a quick hug, “You’d better get in and reassure Tessa you’re fine, she’s almost killing herself with guilt.”

“I’m fine,” Ana said as she put away her shoes and slipped on soft-soled slippers.

“Ana,” Kaye said from the doorway of the dining room, “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” Ana repeated, and almost had the breath knocked from her as Tessa engulfed her in a hug.

“Ana, I’m so sorry!” Tessa wailed, “When Nakano told me that you had gone with him I was so frightened.”

Ana smiled at this, “Were you all afraid he’d kill me and cut me up into little pieces?”

“Actually,” Jon sat back down in one of the chairs, “We were all more concerned that you’d lose your temper and end up killing him.”

“Wow, I am so touched by your concern,” Ana replied sarcastically.

“Well, where have you been?” Kaye asked, ”You’ve been gone for hours. Nakano told us that you had taken the day off. When Tessa told me about what happened I wasn’t overly worried because I figured all he’d do was apologize for the scene at the airport.”

“Well, he did … in a fashion.” Ana conceded.

“Dyosko! This is like pulling teeth! C’mon Ana, spill!” Jon complained.

“Or do we have to torture you first?” Kaye smiled evilly.

Ana sighed and sat down. “It’s kind of complicated…” Seriously, how does one explain such a situation? It was almost like something out of a convoluted teleserye plot. She almost jumped when Kaye suddenly stood up and reached for the phone. “Who are you calling?” she asked

“I’m calling for a pizza,” Kaye answered, “I feel we’re going to be in for a long night.”

“Great!” Jon said as he reached for his coat and wallet.

“And where are you going?” Ana asked him.

“To go get some wine,” he explained. Then turned to Kaye, “Red or white?”

“Get a little of both,” Kaye answered as she perused the menu.

“We’re having a party now?” Ana asked disbelievingly.

Tessa gave her an impish grin, “Well, now that we’ve ascertained that you haven’t been abused in any way, we’d like to have a blow-by-blow account of everything that’s happened between you” she quipped, “And for that, we need supplies.”

“Exactly,” Jon said as he slipped out the door.

“Will two medium sized ones do?” Kaye asked, her hand covering the phone’s mouthpiece.

“I want some chicken too, and some fries. And don’t forget to get the cheesy-roll-crust with maple syrup!” Tessa requested.

Ana shook her head at their banter, but inwardly she smiled because she was thankful for their support. If her instincts were right, she’d need it in the days to come. She took the pins out of her hair and headed for the shower. If it was going to be a long night, she might as well be comfortable.