Chapter 10: The Recovery

Start from the beginning

I had a small moment of relief as I realized that nothing was wrong, Jeremy just wanted to see me, "Oh yeah that's fine. Tell him I'll be there in half an hour"

"Alright, I will. See you then, dear!" Miranda said cheerfully.

"See you then!" I hung up the phone and swiftly went upstairs to my room to change out of my school uniform and gather my track bag together.

I was on a club track team outside of school and there was a practice at 7:30 tonight which was why I guessed that Jeremy had insisted I come over right after school.

Once I was sure I had everything, I texted my mom and brother to let them know where I would be so that the didn't worry when they came home and I wasn't there. Then, I locked the front door, hopped in my car, and drove to the hospital.

I had been getting very familiar not only with my way around the hospital but also the staff that worked there. As I walked down the hall to Jeremy's room I waved and exchanged pleasantries with a few of the nurses and even other families who were there with a loved one of their own.

As I approached Jeremy's room I was once again surprised to hear raised voices coming from behind the door. Once I was standing in front of the door, I was able to hear what the voices were saying and I was shocked to recognize them as Jeremy, his mother, and occasionally his father. Although slightly muffled I could make out the words they were saying.

Jeremy yelled, "I don't care how 'amazing' of an idea you think it is, it's my life and my problem and so what if you're excited about it because it ISN'T YOUR PROBLEM TO DEAL WITH"

Next I heard Howard's raised voice, "don't you dare speak like that to us, son! You know we just want the best for you and we think this is the best way; getting back to your old life and back into your old routines!"

Jeremy yelled again, and I bit my lip nervously as I tried to figure out what they were arguing about, "wow great idea dad except I can't get back to my old life because, in case you hadn't noticed, I CAN'T FUCKING SEE ANYMORE!!!"

His voice was hysterical and I could faintly make out the sound of Mrs. Fuller crying softly. Apparently Mr. Fuller noticed, too, "Jeremy watch your language an mind what you're saying, now you made your mother cry. You know we just want you to get a sense of normalcy back and we think you can do that by coming home like the doctor suggested!"

Realization dawned on me; I hadn't thought about the fact that Jeremy would likely be going home shortly after the bandages came off (which would be in two days) and that going home would be a whole new struggle and obstacle for him to overcome.

Before Jeremy could snap back and make the situation escalate further, I knocked on the door. I could hear the room get noticeably quieter and then Mr. Fuller opened the door a crack. Surprise crossed his face for a split second before he cleared his throat and painted a fake smile onto his face, "Rachel" he greeted warmly, "Miranda told me you'd be coming"

Trying to appear like I hadn't heard anything, I painted a warm smile onto my face, too, "Yeah she told me Jeremy was asking for me, is she still here?"

He opened the door wider beckoning me inside, "Yeah, we were probably just gonna head down to the cafeteria for a while and then talk to Jeremy's doctors" I spotted Jeremy's mom standing up and turning away for a minute to wipe the tears from her face.

As I came in fully, she turned around and greeted me warmly, and I pretended I didn't see her red eyes and splotchy cheeks and she pulled me in for a hug, "Rachel, dear, I'm so happy to see you"

"I'm glad to see you too, Miranda" as she released me from her warm arms I turned to see Jeremy, who's shoulders were tight and I could see him clenching his jaw tightly, "don't worry about taking too long I'm happy to be here so just go do what you have to do, we'll be fine here right Jer?"