Fish and visiting hours

When I wake back up again, it's dark outside. I look at the digital clock on the table. 11.34 pm. I put my glasses and hearing aids on, and look around. Is there any way I could get some food before going back to sleep? I find a small, red button on the side of my bed. "Call for nurse". That should help, right? I push the button. In less than half a minute, a nurse comes inside.
"Yes, Mr. Yamada?"
Is there any way I could get some food? I'm starving..."
"Of course! Would you like meat, fish or the vegetarian option?"
"Fish, please..."
The nurse nods and leaves the room. I sit up and look at the rest of the buttons. There's another three buttons. One that is "emergency" and one with an arrow up, and one with an arrow down. I press the up button, and the bed slowly starts to go up, so I can lean my back against it while still being comfortable. After about five minutes, the nurse comes back inside with a tray. There's rice and fish, and a small packet of apple juice. She places the tray on my lap and leaves the room. I slowly start eating. It's a rather small portion. I've read that if you don't eat, or eat very little, your stomach will shrink, and you will feel full quicker than normally, so you should eat a little and slowly. I grab the plastic chopsticks and start eating. I guess everything tastes delicious after not eating in three days. I finish the food in about fifteen minutes and put the tray on the table. I don't think anyone is gonna do any more chek-ups until tomorrow in the morning, so I might as well go back to sleep. It's getting rather lonely.

I wake up from someone opening the door and walking inside. I sit up and put my glasses and hearing aids on. It's the same doctor from yesterday.
"Good morning, Mr. Yamada! We're gonna do the same thing we did yesterday."
I nod and remove the robe. She brings out her stethoscope and checks my pulse and breathing, just like yesterday. And then she checks the stitches. She tells me that it's the kind that will dissolve by themselves, to leave as small of a scar as possible. When she's wrapping me back up again, the door opens. I think it's just a nurse, but they're being loud. I look towards the door. It's my mom, Shota, Nemuri, Tensei and his baby brother Tenya. I smile at them and signal them to wait until the doctor leaves. They wait patiently in the corner until she leaves. And then they basically jump over me. They all hug and kiss me, even Tensei and Nemuri. Tenya gives me a small hug. I smile at them all. And then the questions come.
"What happened?"
"Who found you?"
"WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE?"
"Hey, hey, hey, calm down, one person at the time! I was going to the pharmacy to get the medicine the doctor had recommended me, and I didn't hear him. I didn't hear him, so he shot me. I don't know who found me."
They all grab chairs and sit down around my bed. Tensei picks up Tenya and let's him sit in his lap.
"I'm on baby sitting duty, I had to bring him."
Tensei ruffles Tenya's hair, who immidiately tries to fix it.
"Hey!"
Of what I've heard, Tenya is a lot less laid-back than Tensei. He's in kindergarten, but always makes sure that all the toys are in correct order. It's a bit weird for a 4-year-old.
"Brother? Is 'Zashi gonna be okay?"
I have to stop myself from letting out a big "awww". Tensei nods.
"Of course! He's gonna pull through, just like all the other times."
I smile and turn to my mother. She's smiling, but she has tears in her eyes. It's weird to see her like this, my mother, who's always happy, is crying. I reach towards her and wipe her tears. She lets out a light sob and puts her hand on top of mine, pushing it against her cheek.
"Mom..."
"You could have died, 'Zashi. Died!"
"But I didn't, right? It'll take more to kill me."
I lean forwards and kiss her forehead, hoping to calm her down a bit.
"I'm a hero, mom. I'm gonna get hurt. You shouldn't worry, it will happen again."
I put my arms around her and carefully caress her back. After I have let go of her, I finally turn to Shota. He's smiling. Not that creepy smile he uses when he wins a battle that says "I'm gonna eat the children", but a genuine one. The bags under his eyes are worse than before.
"When was the last time you slept?"
A very faint blush rises on his pale cheeks.
"Uhm... three days ago? Maybe? I've been able to take some naps though..."
"You need to sleep, Shota. Not just nap."
I grab his hand. His knuckles are red and have small wounds on them. Did he punch something? I scoot over in the bed.
"C'mere."
Shota climbs up in the bed and leans his head against my shoulder. We're not afraid to show affection in public anymore, like we were when we just started dating. Turns out my lom and our friends were pretty accepting of our sexualities and relationship. Shota's family however... not that great. That's why he stays at my place so often, to avoid his own family. I hug him and look at the others.
"You're basically just a cat. Naps a lot, doesn't like people but still needs to cuddle."
I can feel his smile against my shoulder.
"Wouldn't it be nice to have a cat?"
"You'll have to wait until your birthday for that."
His entire face gets warm against the bandage on my shoulder. He looks up at me with large, round eyes.
"What?"
I nod and look down at him.
"If that's what you want, I'll get it for you. What kind would you like? One of those naked cats? A kitten? Persian cat?"
Shota doesn't like blushing, especially not when Tensei, Tenya, Nemuri and mom are there. He hides his face.
"Any kind is fine..."
"Thought so."

They have to leave at 1 pm, when I need to eat lunch it's time for the check ups again. This time they can remove the tubes going to my arm, and I'm allowed to leave the bed. I don't know for how long I can stand up on my own though, my legs are very weak. I manage to make myself to the bathroom. There's a special chair in the shower, so I can sit down. I pull my hands through my wet hair. I really do stink. After that, I get back in my bed. Visiting hours are over once I'm done, but I'm allowed to have my phone, so I can text or call them. Neither mom nor Shota are leaving the hospital until I can leave too. Nemuri and Tensei will come back next week, since they're still going to school. I might be allowed to leave before then, though. Or at least I hope so.