Genius Academy chapter 2

Chapter 2-Alice

I was playing the last notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony when my stepfather slammed his door with a terrifically loud bang that completely disrupted my recording. I was sorely tempted to shout 'Joseph, there goes my violin recording!' But after a bit of thought she decided against it-since my stepfather was already in a bad mood it might result in a drastic cut in her allowance. You never knew with people like Joseph who had really bad tempers. When he was in one of his moody sulks, it was advisable to just stay away from him until he felt normal again.

Sighing as that was my tenth try and I had almost finished a near-perfect recording before I was so rudely interrupted, I went up to drag my lazy pig of a sister (Alicia) out of her room to play a tennis match. As usual, I annihilated her, 13-1. I sighed to myself. Alicia could've gotten a few points with my soft hits, but that's typical of her as she's completely hopeless at sports. Just on cue, our maid rang the dinner bell twice, signalling that we were having dinner on the patio.

Just as Ashley, my mom set out the plates on the table, bringing out the mushroom-chicken casserole the chef Joqard whipped up, Ray and James skipped down the porch, James whistling a tune as he skipped down the path.

After they all finished dinner, their normal Saturday night tradition, Alice and Ray went to Barneys to shop for Alice's school clothes. She was going to start at the Genius Academy in two days. Fortunately Lynette, Lark, Nicolette and Misty have been accepted too. But a little bird told me Nick is starting there too.

"Hey Ally, what's wrong? You look like you just ate a sour plum." Ray cut through Alice's thoughts, a concerned expression on his face.

"Oh, nothing's wrong. Hey, when do you start at Oxford?" Alice tried to change the subject.

Like a bolt out of the blue, Ray remembered all the Saturday nights they had spent together in the past, especially that night on the Tube.

It was, in fact the first time either of them had ridden the Tube, owing to both being chauffeur-driven all their life, even after Ray had gotten his licence. Though it happened almost two years ago, Ray remembered it as vividly as if it were yesterday. He wished they'd talked about that kiss-but Alice'd been dating Nicholas then. Ray knew after their breakup that it wasn't good to bring it up, as Alice'd probably forgotten anyway.

(Ray's flashback) It might have been another Saturday night outing, but to me it was so much more. That night, I drove Alice out of her winding estate to Marylebone. Then on the spur of the moment (she was always trying new things those days-her motto then was carpe diem), Alice decided that as 'pampered brats' we had zero to none normal experiences. So she persuaded me to take the Tube and explore the subway system with her for that night.

Truth be told, Ray had long forgotten the name of the station which they'd alighted at, but it was one of the best experiences of his life. The stores were nothing like the ones they were used too-and the street food! The tantalising aroma of tender, succulent and greasy chicken wings filled the air, so I bought some for Alice and myself. Then, we went into this second-hand retro store, where Alice bought some clothes.

Then when it was nearly Alice's curfew we tried going back by the Tube again. However, despite the fact that Alice is quite direction-oriented, we nevertheless got off at the wrong stati0n and ended up lost. I took one look at her and spontaneously kissed her. Right then I knew she had some feelings for me too. Her expression was that of someone who had a pleasant shock and she had a blissful air about her.

Maybe it was the way the wind blew her black hair around, revealing her flawless porcelain skin, or maybe it was the way she laughed as she realised how funny the situation was-I don't know what made me do it. That kiss sealed it-from that moment on-I was desperately in love with Alice. I don't know when my crush on Alice started, but now I realised that I liked her-no, loved her as more than my best friend.

I could tell Ray was reminiscing-probably about the Tube incident. Truth be told, I knew he thought I'd long since forgotten... but I hadn't. Well, forgotten as in blocked out of my mind. However, I didn't actually really forget about it though...

(Alice's continuation of Ray's flashback) I went home in the taxicab without being scolded for breaking curfew-I was 15 minutes late. But I was still was very worried- not to mention confused. I mean, I was dating Nick then. Did this count as cheating? I didn't know at all. But all that didn't matter as Nick soon broke up with me for Lixi. Stupid flamboyant Lixi! Showing off her clothes as if they weren't discount store castoffs. Maybe it was because she was willing to put out. To think...I'd been thinking then to break up with Nick and get together with Ray. Faithful, dear old Ray who would most likely NEVER do something like this to me. It might have happened if Nick hadn't broken up with me for Lixi.

Am I over him? Looking at myself now, I'd say not entirely. But I definitely don't want to get back together with him- I really don't. Back then was horrible. I think he might have tried calling me to ask (the old stupid question) if we could still be friends, but wouldn't know as I changed my number the next day. I was such a wreck back then. Come on, he broke up with me by texting me nothing but "It's over" before I caught him hooking up with Lixi. He didn't even have the decency to try and explain his actions. My thoughts after crying endlessly on my bed for two days and then reading a Celebri-teen article on the happy new couple four months later (which pretty much settled it) were: Whatever. That's clearly over now.

But the question on both their minds was: Could we still be together now?