"If you're going to be marrying into the Blacks you need to grow up." I mumbled tiredly as I made my way up the stairs.
I was yanked back by my hair by Leah and rolled down the stairs.

I heard Leah's giggles along with her friends.

"Leah!" One friend whisper yelled. "That looked painful."

"Just leave her there." She said dryly.

I pulled myself up and took the hand of her friend.

"Oh my gosh!" She gasped. "You have a blood nose." The young brunette raced for a tissue before I stopped her.

"I'll be fine, really." I smiled at her. "Thank you for your concern."

"If you're okay..." Her voice was worried although she was slurring a little.

I went straight to my room, removed my make up, cleaned the minor trickle of blood, brushed my teeth and set my alarm. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out like a light.

My alarm went off at 6am, like usual. My muscles were stiff and sore, probably from that tumble.

I don't know how I haven't broken a bone in this house.

I embraced the hot water that unknotted my muscles and soothed my cold skin.

I left the shower to dry off and blow dry my hair before tying it back into a high pony tail.

I did my make up, hiding the small bruises and discoloration on my face.
I kept it natural and began to dress.

I picked out a grey knee length skater dress, tights, high heel ankle boots, a rose coloured scarf and a black blazer.

Once I was dressed and ready I went downstairs for coffee and breakfast that Gerard had ready and waiting.

"Merci." I smiled at Gerard.
(Thank you).

"De rien ma cherie."
(You're welcome my dear.)

I finished half the breakfast before realising the time.

"Merci pour le petit déjeuner, passe une bonne journée!" I yelled behind me.
(Thanks for breakfast, have a good day!)

I made it in to work at 7:30 and immediately readied the meeting room after putting my things away.
Luckily, I didn't have to attend Russell's catch up meeting so I could focus on printing and preparing the rest of the materials.

After the meeting, I had missed Russell who had gone for a quick coffee. I quickly tidied the room and refreshed the glasses and water jugs as well as placed the materials in their places.

"You're as busy as always." A deep voice came from behind me.

A smile made it's way onto my face as I spun around. "Russell!" I exclaimed.

"Hey Cupcake! Come and give me a hug!" He held his arms wide open and I was enveloped into a warm hug.
Russell stood back up to his tall height with my arms still wrapped around his neck. My short legs dangled below me and he secured me with his arms wrapped around my waist.

"I missed you!" He chuckled.

"I missed you too." I smiled against his shoulder.

A throat cleared behind us and I was lowered to the ground.
I fixed my clothes before I turned around to see Mr. Adley wearing a scowl and Mr. Black and his team gathered behind him.

"Dad!" Russell shook his father's hand with a bright smile. "It's great to be back."

"Mr. Black it's good to see you again." I shook his hand briefly.

"Likewise Miss Adley."

"Please, just call me Avery." I smiled and moved on after receiving a curt nod.

We made it into the meeting room where Russell introduced himself and apologised for his absence.

The meeting went along where proposals were made and told to be improved on both sides.
I found myself struggling to stay awake and even stifled a yawn.

After the meeting everyone said their goodbyes and went back to their respective offices.
Mr. Black and his parents were due back for a brief meeting. Which I suspected was in regards to the marriage contract.

"How have you been Avery?" Russell asked appearing in the doorway of my office.

"I've been well, just a bit tired at the moment." I smiled weakly.

"No shit, Avery." He laughed. "You looked as though you were going to fall asleep any minute."

I chuckled along with him. "I'm fine. I was just up late trying to fix Leah's mess."

"What did she do now?" He frowned and his jaw clenched.

"Drunk, strange man and a hotel." I summed it up quickly.

Russell brushed his dark brown hair back and sighed as he slumped in the chair in front of my desk. His grey eyes studied me for a minute. "You've lost heaps of weight, Ave."
His tone was serious and not at all complimentary.

I smiled up at him. "Thanks for noticing!"

"Seriously Cupcake, you're too thin and pale." He sighed. "What's going on?"

"I've just been busy and skipping meals as of late." I reassured. "Once everything's calmed down I'll be able to pay more attention."

"Do it soon or I'll do it for you." He threatened.

"Yes sir!" I mocked. "Have you heard about the marriage between Leah and Oliver Black."

Russell roared in laughter. "Yeah." He wiped some tears from his eyes. "I have. That man is the least patient man I know. It's going to be a disaster."

I chuckled at his reaction. "Do you and Mr. Black know each other?"

"Yeah, we actually went to college together." He smiled. "He was a bit more carefree then, but essentially the same."

"Avery!" Mr. Adley's voice cut through the air. "My office Now!"

"You should get back to work too Russell." I smiled and made my way to Mr. Adley's office.

"Sir?" I asked after I entered and closed the door.

"Your report needs to be redone. It was supposed to be completed by 9am!" His loud angry voice instantly made me flinch. Files flew at my face and fell to the floor. "You stupid idiot can't even do that right!"

He continued screaming in my face for awhile about how unsatisfactory my work from yesterday was and hurled every insult he could come up with.

He finished it off with a nice punch to the gut, just to get that extra agression out.
Tears sprang to my eyes. My body was still sore from the fall I had down the stairs early this morning.

"Did you at least get rid of that fucking paparazzo?!" He spat at me. "Or did you screw that up too?!"

"N-no sir." I coughed out. "I-i took c-care of it."

"Finally did something right." He mumbled. "Hurry up and clean this mess up. We have to meet with the Blacks."

I did as I was told and stood on unsteady legs. I felt dizzy, but shook it off and returned to my desk to grab my notebook and pens.