Oscar stuck out his bottom lip. ‘Okay,’ he said sadly.

Ezra and Will eventually reappeared with some long sticks which didn’t look like they’d burn too quickly, and soon the six of them were getting covered in marshmallow as they attempted to eat them in a dignified manner. The only one to stay reasonably clean was Laurel, who seemed to have mastered the culinary skills necessary to cook hers for the perfect amount of time; slightly charred on the outside, and gooey inside, but not so gooey that it exploded all over her, like Will’s had done several times. He watched her smugly eat her perfectly cooked one, lit by firelight, and smiled. She was adorable.

Ezra’s eyes were trained in on the fire, watching the mesmerizing dance of the flames, the different colours and shapes all flickering in constant movement. Fire was pretty amazing, he had to admit, and always slightly hypnotizing; he always found that he couldn’t look away, not quite. Perhaps that was why he’d always found smoking so attractive: the fire and the smoke were just something he enjoyed.

He felt like he could sit there for hours. It was kind of weird for him. He had been planning to go out clubbing again tonight, perhaps find another girl willing to share her bed with him, but somehow, he felt perfectly content just sitting here on the beach, watching the flames lap at the driftwood.

He glanced up, noticing April too staring into the red hot centre of the fire. She, too, was looking meditative, and he wondered whether he was occupying her mind. The whole kiss thing last night had been something of a blur for him, but he knew he’d made an absolute arse of himself. He’d bloody dragged her out, for goodness sake. For some reason, he just couldn’t seem to let go when it came to April, and seeing her kissing that guy had just been the last straw.

Perhaps he should have a word with her about it?

The firelight threw shadows across her face. It was a beautiful face, that was for sure, perfectly sized and shaped features, full lips, long lashes; a natural beauty which she made the most of, emphasizing with her make up. No wonder that guy had been all over her. He had once found her bewitching too, so seductive and enticing, he’d just had to be with her. She’d been magical, at first, alighting him with passion, and also making him laugh whenever he was with her. She’d had a wry sense of humour, and a fun nature, making her the perfect companion. He’d always looked forward to seeing her; he’d get anxious and miss her embarrassingly when she was away.

So when had things gone so wrong? He wasn’t sure, really. He hadn’t really understood what was happening, just that they were drifting apart, and arguing more than they were enjoying time with each other.

She’d changed. He’d changed. They had no longer complemented each other. So it had all gone wrong.

April looked up from the flames and met his gaze. She flinched.

Ezra frowned down at the fire, averting his eyes from her. This wasn’t going to get them anywhere. Maybe if they talked it over, they could work things out, or something. Anything would be better than this awkwardness.

He got up, and went over to her side. ‘Come for a walk with me?’ he asked, before he could change his mind.

April looked up at him in surprise, her expression of shock soon turning to one of wariness. ‘What for?’

He shrugged. ‘Please?’

She looked at Morgie, who smiled supportively, and then got up, with the air of one who is yielding with great reluctance, joining him. She hadn’t got any shoes on, and her toes curled into the sand.

He smiled in the most friendly way that he could, then set off. She walked along next to him, keeping a little way apart from him, as if she was scared of getting too close. He supposed that he couldn’t really blame her. Their last meeting hadn’t gone too well, all things considered. What he remembered of it hadn’t been great, anyway.