“It wouldn’t have done any good. We’re both covered in blood and lost out in the middle of nowhere, what would I have told her?”

Brendon had to admit that the woman had a point.

“I told her about vampires and explained that I am one but that I won’t hurt her.”

“What about me? Did you tell her what I am?” Brendon questioned and Ella shook her head.

“No. I was not sure if I’m supposed to.” Brendon sighed.

“I guess it doesn’t matter. Mortals are not supposed to be told about supernatural creatures like vampires, werewolves and Hunters but I am sending the girl to live with a werewolf pack so…” he shrugged.

“Brendon, I’m hungry.” Maggie said again, with a bit of impatience in her little voice this time. Brendon grumbled under his breath and then stood up, settling Ella on her feet.

“I’ll go find us something to eat and then we have to get moving. We still have another two weeks of hard riding before we reach the wolves.”

“Wolves?” Maggie asked with a frown as Brendon grabbed his gun, ensured it was loaded and then slid it back in its holster.

“Werewolves.” he replied with a nod and Maggie’s eyes widened.

“Do they have fur?”

“Yep.” Brendon found his hat and plopped it on his head.

“Can I pet one? There was a puppy once that came around the orphanage and I tied bows on its ears! Can I tie bows on their ears?”

Brendon chuckled as he pictured Grange as a wolf. A big, black, muscular killing machine with little pink bows on his ears.

“I’m sure they’d be more than obliged to let you.” he replied with a grin. He tousled the girls hair and then pulled Ella to him and kissed her lips.

“I…” he started and then he frowned. He had almost told her that he loved her. Loved her? He didn’t even know how to do that.

“I’ll be back shortly. Y’all just stay here.” With that he turned and jogged off into the Tennessee mountains, trying hard to ignore the pain still lingering in his blood drained body.

***

“Trig.” Grange ground out between his clenched jaw.

“I did it! I did it! I finally did it!” Trig exclaimed as he danced the two step around and around the pack.

“Trig.” Grange repeated.

“Woohoo! I did it!” Trig cried out with pride as he grabbed Dawn, who was cradling nearly five month old creed against her chest, and began to spin around taking them with him.

“Trig, I will kill you if you don’t calm down.” Grange warned, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers.

“You better listen to him, Trig. He’s threatening violence.” Nickolai stated dryly as he lounged against a tree with his arms wrapped loosely around Brie and her back resting against his chest as she smiled at Trig’s antics and the way they were clearly going to give Grange an apoplexy.

“When isn’t he threatening violence?” Dawn asked with a laugh as she broke away from Trig and went to her mates arms. Trig simply continued his dancing with Anika, much to the displeasure of Blain who had grown very protective of the she wolf as of late.

“What’s wrong, Grange? You should be happy for your beta.” Dawn scolded. Grange let out a breath and shook his head, sure that his mate had lost her mind.