action and amazement pt.1

It was the day.
The day of the date.
And it was Alec's birthday the next day.
Everyone seemed to be rushing about and doing things. When Alec tried to speak with Isabelle, she said that she was too busy helping Clary find some fairy lights. He presumed they were for her bedroom; Izzy loved anything bright, colourful, and cutesy. That being said she did also love other stuff.
"Hey, do you wanna get changed and head on over to the training room? I wanted to have a chat with you, and for some reason Clary and Isabelle and Simon are running around doing something that clearly neither of us are involved in."
"Sure. You don't know what it is, do you? Iz said something to me about fairy lights..."
Jace shook his head. He was blessed with everything; good looks, good humour, and good acting skills among the many things he was amazing at. "No idea, sorry. But I'll meet you there in ten?"
"Sure!"

-------------

Magnus woke up to the sound of his alarm screeching at him. For a minute he considered bashing the thing, but then he realised why it was waking him up.
It was The Day.
It was 10am, which gave him five hours to get ready. Yes, he needed five hours; one spent washing and having breakfast, three spent running around in absolute panic, and one rushing to get ready.
Magnus wanted this day to be more special than anything. He wanted it to almost be as special as Alec himself. So he was going to need some help from a good old friend.
"Pick up, will you?! Godammit, the one time I need her!"
It took five more minutes to finally get through.
"I only picked up because you rang me multiple times and it's 10am which means it's extremely urgent. You're lucky I'm off today, what is it?"
"Thank God you're available, Catarina. It's very urgent."
"Does it involve your love life?"
"What do you think?!"
"It always involves your love life. What now?!"
"It's Alec's birthday soon."
"Ohh, Shadowhunter boy? Lightwood? He seems like a really good kid. He definitely loves you anyway."
"He is, and I really do love him. But today his friends and I planned a date for us that he doesn't know about, and as usual I'm stressing out because I don't have ANYTHING appropriate to wear for this kind of thing and I haven't had any food yet and-"
"Pull something on. I'll be at your apartment in ten."
"Oh thank god."

----------------

"Did you get the right colour? Is that the right colour? Does it go with-"
"Iz, calm down. Alec's not expecting anything big; the little things please him most. But the soft rainbow idea is sweet, and yes this is the right colour," Clary explained. Her and Isabelle had been -not so discreetly- organising decorations and little things to take to Magnus's and set up. Isabelle was getting uptight; she had a specific vision in her head she just couldn't seem to get right. Clary was helping her stay calm. Simon was helping too; he was getting them coffee and finalising a couple details.
"Well look, if we can get these lights to hang all across the walls then it'd look better. They're soft and pastel. Then we need to scatter petals, but in an organised way so it doesn't look shabby. And the candles."
Clary had an idea.
"Wait, I have my sketch pad. How about you describe to me what you see and I can draw it out? That way we'll be able to visualise it even better, and adjust the little things."
"That's a great idea and all, Clary, but we don't know what Magnus's apartment looks like."
"Ask Simon to go ask Alec."
"I heard my name?" Simon said. He'd been walking by the open door.
"We want you to ask Alec what Magnus's apartment -specifically his main room- looks like."
"Won't that be obvious though?" Isabelle asked.
"Won't he know something's up?" Simon responded.
"Well, yeah. But it also gives him a feeling of suspense, a feeling of oh I wonder what's going on, y'know?"
"Hmm, fine. Simon, what time is it?"
"10:45."
"Okay. Go down and ask my brother that. But try not to be too obvious."
"Sure thing, m'lady," said Simon, tipping his invisible hat.
Clary rolled her eyes.
Isabelle giggled.