Chance?

"What. The. Hell. Did. You. Do?!"

Wally was banging on the door to Dick's apartment, honestly surprised no other tenants, or the landlord for that matter, had come to see what all the noise was about.

"Dick? Can you hear me?!"

Nothing.

Wally stepped back and started kicking the door.

It was finally starting to give way under the pressure.

He stopped kicking the door and resorted to shoving his entire weight onto the door, hearing numerous cracks before the wooden frame started to splinter.

He let out a frustrated groan and backed up until his back hit the opposite wall of the corridor.

He leaned back slightly until speeding into the door, smashing the door inward, allowing him access into the room.

His eyes quickly scanned the room, immediately falling on Dick's still figure.

He raced over and the first thing he noticed were his bloody wrists.

Oh my God, he tried to kill himself!

He didn't even bother to see if he was in fact still alive, instead he found the bathroom and grabbed two hand towels and raced back to his side.

He wrapped both wrists up tightly, hoping to prevent anymore blood loss and finally noticed the second thing.

He was deathly pale... and he didn't appear to be breathing.

Wally reached two fingers up to his neck.

No pulse!

"Okay... okay hold on buddy..."

He started CPR all the while trying to hold in tears.

We did this to him... I did this to him...

He gently tilted Dick's head up to the correct angle and, while holding his nose shut with the other hand, proceeded to give him two rescue breaths.

He waited a moment before checking his pulse and laying his ear against Dick's mouth.

He was breathing-- on his own now.

But his pulse was... low.

Barely there.

Doesn't matter! He's stable enough for now--

Wally reached down to his pocket before slapping himself in the forehead.

He dropped his damn phone and broke it.

God, I'm an idiot! Okay West, don't panic! There's a phone just down the hall!

He gave one last glance to his friend(?) before speeding back out the hallway and racing to the payphone he saw when he first came in.

He slammed in a few quarters and tapped his foot impatiently as the operator connected him to 911.

"Hello? Yeah uh, I think my friend just tried to commit suicide... yes he wasn't breathing but I got his heart going again... yes. Yes! Look you can track the address right? Just send someone over now!"

He hung up and ran back to Dick's side and was relieved he was still breathing on his own, however shallow.

He sat beside him and carefully moved his head into his lap, repeatedly muttering apologies.

He just... never thought Dick would go this far.

He was, after all, THE Nightwing.

He was invincible right?

Of course not! Unfortunately... no one is...

He soon heard the wailing sirens of the ambulance as it neared the building and Wally couldn't help the slight rocking motions he started doing.

However, in the haze of emotions, he did remember that he used to do this when Dick had nightmares at the Cave. Back when he was still Robin...

It took a minute after the sirens stopped before the paramedics came running into the apartment.

To Wally, it was like a haze, something he could barely remember.

He remembered them asking him questions which he answered like a robot as they took him out of his arms and onto a stretcher.

And he did remember wanting to desperately pummel the paramedic that told him he could not ride with them, his condition was too fragile.

Just that he should meet them at the hospital.

And he also remembered how he ran his fingers through his hair in despair as he heard the ambulance drive off without him.

And the worst part... was that he never did hear the sirens as they drove off.
_______________________________________

...please keep in mind the definition of the title for this book.