Part 8

After the delivery, Boris had to clear his mind. He kissed Alice on the forehead before leaving her in the empty flat. She sighed and left herself. She thought of going to Vivaldi, but Peter would be there, too. Telling either of them of the recent events would ensure Hatter’s death, and Madson didn’t deserve to die. Alice contemplated of also going to Julius for a quick visit, but he wouldn’t welcome her in the least.

Finally she decided to go into town for a bit. Maybe she could find a new cheap bookstore or even a new job. Sitting at the vacant apartment all day didn’t sound like an exciting day to her. As she thought of how she could spender her empty time, she casually entered a small bookshop at the edge of the town. Alice walked into the bowels of the store to explore the shelves.

As Alice found an interesting fictional book, someone came in. She hardly heard the bell as she read the first few pages. Chills went up her spine as she turned the page. She glanced up and found Peter, looking around the store. Instinctively, she ducked and hid her face with the book, ignoring the rabbit.

“Aliiice? Are you ignoring me out of malice?” Peter whispered from outside the cover. Alice slowly lowered it, glaring at him in the process. His ears shot up in excitement, ecstatic that she wasn’t ignoring him.

“Not exactly,” she hissed as she stood up in front of him. Closing the book, she went to the clerk and quickly laid the money on the table, hardly waiting for the change. Peter followed her closely behind, clearly only entering the store to find Alice. She stopped halfway down the street, irritated by being stalked by the creeper. “Can I help you, Peter?”

“Just tell me why. Why you must marry this guy,” he inquired as he grabbed her hand. Alice yanked it away, regretting leaving the empty room in the apartment.

“Because I love him, Peter. That’s why. There isn’t some conspiracy behind it. He isn’t making me do it. We’re not trying to anger anyone. Boris is an amazing guy and I am blessed to deserve a man that loves me as much as he does. I don’t want to be with anyone else,” Alice explained plainly as she clutched her book. Peter didn’t move or say anything. He was purely shocked by her finality in the subject. Alice knew what she wanted, and it wasn’t him.

“But how can this be? You’re supposed to be with me,” Peter complained as he looked at the ground. Alice backed away carefully, feeling the air grow cold. He turned on his heel and stalked away as Alice dashed back to the amusement park.

Alice had never seen Peter so upset and angry. Just recalling the moment sent shivers through her body. He may have gone back to the castle and shot who knows how many soldiers and servants. Tears came down her cheek as she realized just how many death she may have caused.

She made it to the entrance, but passed it. Alice didn’t want comfort or someone telling her to get over the fact that she might have caused dozens of people to die. That she shouldn’t care about the faceless. All she wanted to do was to bury her mind in the world of an unexplored book. To forget her issues and problems of reality. Or at least, she hoped it was reality. It was too long and personal for it only to be a dream.

After hours of calmly reading in the dense forest, midday turned to the early morning. Alice gasped as she jolted back into the real world. She closed the book and began her journey back, feeling much better than before.

She opened the apartment door, hoping to see Boris inside with a clear head. She searched the flat, but found no Boris. However, in the bedroom, a small present sat in the center. It remained untouched as it sat perfectly straight in the room. Alice cautiously approached it, almost afraid. She gently picked up the small box and read yet another card.

My darling Alice,

Words cannot begin to describe you caring and sweet nature. Nor can it be compared to any worldly things. You are one of a kind, Sweetheart.