27. Valentine's Day mayhem

Start from the beginning

"Do you need any help for it?" I asked awkwardly. I wasn't very good at this, but it was clear that Sam had an issue.

She shrugged. "I should go see the nurse about it soon. But I've had other things on my mind recently." She paused, and a sob broke out from her. "How did he do it? How did he manage to break out?"

I'd been so concerned over Sam and Alia, I hadn't thought over the reality of the situation. Cameron had escaped. He was heading to Britain. A deep chill passed through me.

"It has to be an inside job. Eleven prisoners couldn't have escaped on their own."

"Your godfather did."

"He was a special case." I said. After a pause I asked, "Do you think Cole knows?"

"Probably." Sam said with a shaky voice, and wiped at her face aggressively. "I wish we were there with him, but I'm glad he's there. Cameron won't immediately go there to search for him."

"You really think he's coming for Cole?" I whispered, my inner panic rising.

"Cameron will go after who hurt him the most. There's me, and Cole. But of course, he always knows how good I am at evading him. He'll draw out finding me, kill me slow for the fun of it..."

"Don't say that!" I yelled, and felt angry all of a sudden. "He isn't going to kill you, and he isn't going to kill Cole, or Elena, or Camille or Alia or anybody ever. I won't let him."

Sam laughed, but there was no emotion in her eyes. "You don't get it do you? He's killed people before know--it was all in the prophet after his sentencing. He killed half of his cousins and Maxwell's other brother just because of that stupid fake curse. One fifteen year old won't stop him."

"Well this fifteen year old has escaped Voldemort two times already, I can escape one little psychopath." 

Sam sat in silence for a few seconds, twiddling her thumbs. "There's another reason I had an attack."

"Why?"

"I had a letter from Jia this morning." Sam said, not looking at me as tears began to glitter on the corners of her eyelids.

"Jia? Seriously?" I raised an eyebrow. I thought I'd seen Sam looking agitated as the post first came for her, but I didn't even think of it at the time... "What the hell does she want after almost a year of not talking?"

"She wants to meet me in Hogsmeade." Sam said through gritted teeth. "She wrote a letter a few months ago, asking where I was. I told her Scotland, and she has seemed to assume I'm up at Hogwarts."

"Are you going to go?" I asked, faintly being reminded of Cole acting the same way about meeting Sam in Hogsmeade a few months ago.

"I suppose I'll have to. Jia is very forceful when she wants to be." Sam chuckled darkly. "So listen, Rory... I know it's Valentine's Day and you want to spend the day with your ferret boyfriend but---"

"I'll come with you if you want." I interrupted, getting what she was getting at. "You haven't seen her for a year, plus she might still be a death eater.... You aren't going alone to see her."

Sam reached out and grabbed my hand. "You're a real good friend, you know that Rory?"

"I try." I smiled.

"I'm sorry for all the tall jokes when we met."

"I'm sorry for repeatidly calling you a midgit towards Gennie."

"Okay well that is slightly accurate," Sam chuckled. "I'm sixteen and the size of a house elf."

"Don't say that." I nudged her shoulder. "House elves are taller than you."