Chapter 6: The Library

Remus' POV

I spot her as soon as I enter the library. Curled up on the couch, book in her lap, a finger twirling her chestnut curls. Her teeth biting into her bottom lip. Hermione has become a very beautiful woman. The kind that would never be interested in an old man like me.

"What are you reading today, my dear?" I ask carrying the stack of book to the desk in the corner of the room.

Keeping her eyes on her book she responds, "Magical Creatures." Her answer is short and unlike herself.

"Is there anything a could help you with?" I walk to and sit on the couch next to Hermione. I hear her intake of breathe almost like she's scared. "I'm sorry. You must be upset with the way I behaved last night." She must still be nervous after Moony took control in the lab yesterday.

Her eyes meet mine for the first time since I walked into the room. Her eyes are large and mouth opened slightly. "Wh....what?" She stutters leaning away from me. I quickly answer her as I don't want this gorgeous woman scared of me. "In the lab, I let Moony come out and I didn't mean to scare you. I would never hurt you, I hope you know that."

I can see her body visibly relax. "That's not what you thought I meant, is it?" With my question her eyes dart back to the book in her lap. I peer over to see what she is reading.

"Why are you reading about werewolves? You know I can answer any questions you may have." 

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breathe. "Sirius told me you met someone last night. It got me curious about the mating process." She looks up meeting my eyes. "I didn't think you would want to talk about something so personal with me."

I reach out my hand and place it on one of hers holding the book. "When I say anything I mean it." She nods her head, closing the book. "So what do you want to know?"

"Is it true?" She asks. I raise a questioning eyebrow. "You have to accept each other in both forms?"

"Yes."

"Does that scare you?"

"No."

"Why not?"

Running my hand through my hair thinking of the best choice of words. "Well... simply we are made for each other. Being with another wouldn't feel right."

"When you were with other women did it not feel right?"

"No. It felt, okay but nothing like...." I pause remembering the feeling of my mate last night.

"Like what?" She asks pulling my out of daydream.

"Her."

"What will you do when you find her?"

"Hopefully, complete the bond. But she may not accept me. And I wouldn't want to force her to."

"What if she doesn't meet your expectations? What if she is young and inexperienced?" She looks scared again. I open my mouth to speak but she continues, "Or is really old or ugly?"

"She won't be ugly, at least not to me. Each werewolf has a mate that is specially made for them. She will be my true soul mate. We will be compatible on every level. She will be perfect. I will love her no matter who she is."

Hermione's POV

To try to cover up my many pointed questions I ask, "Did you not see her after you transformed back to yourself?" Knowing the answer, I lean and set the book on the coffee table, taking a deep breathe.

"No. She was gone when I woke. She may know who I am though. I read that my transformations will be painless with her near. Since I didn't wake due to the pain, she was still there when we shifted back." He looks at his hands with a very concentrated look on his face.

"I'm sorry." I say under my breathe.

His eyes snap to mine, "Why? What's wrong Hermione?"

"You need to know something." My eyes start to water and grasp my hands to stop them from trembling.

"Hermione, are you okay? Please talk to me." I can see the worry on his face.

Taking a deep breathe I start, "I have been in love with you for so many years." Tears start running down my face. "I wish there was another option for you. I'm so sorry."

"Hermione, you are an amazing woman. You will find someone better than an old werewolf like me." He place his hand on me cheek.

"No I won't."

"Hermione. I'm sorry but I can't."

My tears stream down my face faster. After everything he said about loving his mate no matter what, seems even when it is me I'm not good enough. "I understand. I'm sorry." I stand quickly and walk toward the door.

He grabs my hand before I can leave and turns me to face him. "No I'm the one who should be sorry."

I place my left hand on his shoulder and rise up to my toes. My right hand on the side of his head holding him in place, I kiss his cheek. I slowly pull away, my right hand sliding down his neck.

Remus drops to the floor moaning, I scream in fear that I did something to hurt him.