The Crime Scene

I gave a slight groan as I looked at the crime scene before me. It was a saturday night at 23:00 pm. I had been called to investigate a murder that involved a young child, just the thing you need when your boyfriend ditches you for a football match.

The victim was a 32 year old woman brown hair and eyes called Verity Jones. A single parent with an eight year old daughter called Lelly. Her husband, David Jones, was a reserve for the army. June 3rd 2011 got called in but was killed by a stray bullet in the neck. Verity Jones was a midwife and kept her and her daughter well supported.

From what we can make out from the scene, Vetity was first attacked on the landing with a stab to the stomach. She then fell down the stairs leaving blood on the walls and stairs. Despite her injuries she got up and headed for the back door in an attempt to escape from the murderer. In failing to escape the murderer caught up with her, stabbed her in the head several time, then left the knife in her throat. The predicted time of death was 22:00 pm.

The smell of blood in the house was making me dizzy. I stepped out to the front of the house, where an ambulance and two police cars are parked. I breathed some clean air into my lungs and start to feel better.

" Detective do you want to interview the girl now ?"

I turn around and a male police officer faces me.

" Yes where is she?" I ask.

" In the back if the ambulance with a paramedic. " he replies.

He leads me round the back of the ambulance and in the back is a male paramedic sitting next to a little girl, in her blood covered pyjamas.

" Hello Lelly I'm Detective Stevens, can you tell us what happened? " I ask.

She didn't look at me, at first I thought she wasn't going to respond to me until she said...

" Here is a blanket to put you to bed; here is a pillow to rest your head."

I look at her in confusion.

" What was that sweetie?" I ask.

" She keeps saying that rhyme if you try to talk to her." the paramedic explains.

She continued her little rhyme.

" Here is a knife to go in your head; now I'm all alone because everyone's dead. "

We all look at her in surprise even the paramedic.

" She hasn't said that rhyme before." tge paramedic said in surprise.

" Lelly where did you learn that rhyme?" I ask.

" Here is a blanket to put you to bed; here is a pillow to rest your head." was her response.

" Lelly do you think you could tell us about what happened tonight."

" Here is a knife to go in your head; now I'm all alone because everyone's dead "

" Just give up you're not going to get anything out of her, she probably won't say anything else for a couple of hours. " the police officer said.

I gave a sigh and left the ambulance leaving Lelly with the paramedic. The police officer went back to his vehicle to report in the situation. One if the forensics team came up to me.

" What's the situation? " I ask.

She takes off het blue mask and unzips her white suit so her face is visible.

" Not good I'm afraid. We can't find any evidence that someone else was in the house this evening, and we can't find any finger prints on the murder weapon. Also we've interviewed the neighbours on either side of the house, and they say they didn't see anyone enter or leave the house." she said.

I thought for a moment the murderer must be a professional. They knew how to hide that they were here and leave no evidence, and then they cleaned the murder weapon so we would have no finger prints to identify them with. And apart from Lelly, no eyes witnesses.

" What about the body did they find any more evidence from that?" I ask.

" We found out that Verity wasn't killed with the knife thatvhad been stabbed in her neck. The other wounds that she sustained were caused by a blade half an inch thicker. " the forensic explained.

So the killer had taken the real murder weapon with them or hidden it.

" So what now?" she asks.

" Go over the entire house again to make sure we haven't missed anything. " I say.

The forensic nods her head puts her mask back on and zips up her suit before entering the house. I stand there with nothing to do. I think this was the start of a very long murder investigation, what a great way tobend my day.