0.7

Scottie pressed through the radio channels as she tried to find a station that was playing her favourite music. She was doing everything in her power to distract herself from the fact that all of her family and friends were heading off to fight another battle.

Sighing as she finally settled on a channel, she looked down to be met with Pepper's face popping up on her phone screen. Taking a deep breath, she accepted the FaceTime call as the strawberry blonde's panicked voice rang through the car.

"Scottie, Tony called me," Pepper spoke on the screen with concern written across her face. "When will you get here? I should have sent Happy."

Scottie shrugged, knowing that she had planned a detour before going to the tower.

"I'm stopping off for some lunch in Queen's but I'm safe Pepper," the girl said, a slight detachment in her voice that Pepper knew without question was from not being allowed on the mission.

"Okay, just please let me know when you're on your way back," the strawberry blonde begged at her almost daughter, smiling relived down the FaceTime call as she waited on a confirmation from the blonde. Scottie nodded, exchanging goodbyes with the woman as they both hung up and ended the call.

The driver in the front of the car had yet to say a word, something that Scottie didn't see anything wrong with. She actually kind of liked that. Most of Tony's drivers were overly chatty from having to put up with the billionaire and she hated small talk, so it was nice to finally be able to enjoy some peace and quiet even if it was just for a moment.

Noticing that they had made it into Queens, she motioned for the driver to pull over at the side of the road. Reaching into her pocket and rummaging around for a second she let out a satisfied huff as she felt her fingers grasp on the 100 dollar bill that she usually kept on her.

Reaching out and sliding it across the partition to the man, he raised his eyebrows as he took the bill from her hand.

"I'll be back in forty minutes," she murmured, making sure that the man understood what she was trying to tell him. "You stay here, have a power nap or watch some Netflix I don't care, but I'm going to get a sandwich and have a nice stroll of Queens."

Not waiting for a reply, the girl jumped out of the car and began to stroll down the street. She had been in Queens many a time over the years and had stumbled upon the small sandwich joint a long time ago. While her visits were hearse as she had became a reasonably noticeable public figure (since it had been figured out by the press that she was one of the original Avengers after Tony had collected her from her hide out in England), she still tried to visit whenever she could.

Entering the shop, she smiled warmly at the man who greeted her with open arms. The man raved in Italian as he smiled warmly at her across the counter. She noticed another man at the side of the shop look up as she entered, he was simply browsing the different types of meat on display.

"It's been a while!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands up with a playful smile as the young avenger bounced on the balls of her feet with joy at the excitement of getting to have another of his famous sandwiches. "What can I get you today, Casey?"

She smiled at the use of her surname as she had a quick glance at the boards. "Delmar! A number five please, but hold the pickles," she murmured the last part as she thought about how she didn't happen to have any gym handy to keep the smell at bay.

He smiled in delight, barking an order to the man next to her as he turned his focus back to the blonde in front of him.

"How's your daughter?" She asked, noticing the way his eyes lit up at the mention of her.