Chapter One: What If?

As Gloria held Lino at gunpoint and looked into his eyes, she couldn't help but wonder; what would happen if she didn't pull the trigger?

Would he still want her? Or would he kill her first?

Was he being truthful when he told her he wanted her as his queen?

Could she even be with someone like him?

He had done so many horrible things and had committed so many crimes, she couldn't forget that.

But as Gloria spent more time with him, she began to feel more and more attracted to him.

When he took her to his family home and introduced her to his father and brother, she had to admit that her heart softened for him. She began to understand that he wasn't just a cold-hearted killer. He was more than that.

And she definitely couldn't deny the fact that he was just plain gorgeous.

She couldn't deny that there was something between them.

Suddenly she was shaken from her thoughts as a blast of smoldering hot air from the fire blew past her. She looked up and realized what exactly was happening. She realized that she had an actual gun pointed directly at his head.

The shooting lessons Lino had given her had done nothing to prepare her for the real thing, Gloria realized. But she knew that she could make the shot. She knew that she could kill him if she really, really wanted.

But did she want to? What if she put the gun down? What would happen next?

She looked back up again and met his crystal clear green eyes, shining even brighter in the light of the roaring fire beside them. He watched her reaction as he took a step closer to her.

And another.

And another.

Gloria didn't react. Couldn't. She didn't know what to do. It was a life or death decision, literally.

Eventually Lino had made his way to her. Not breaking eye contact, he slowly raised his hand towards her, towards the gun. Automatically, her finger tightened on the trigger and he immediately tensed, waiting for her to release the contents of the gun into his chest.

But Gloria didn't pull the trigger. She loved the way he always seemed to be paying attention to her. She loved the way he seemed to just always know what she wanted. She couldn't just forget about that other side of him. That other side that cares for her, protects her even. Possibly even loves her.

As her adrenaline faded, her arms shook with the exhaustion from holding up such a large gun for such a long period of time. Slowly, cautiously, Gloria lowered the gun.

She watched him as a look briefly shadowed his eyes, although she couldn't tell what it was. Relief? Love? Hate?

Perhaps she didn't have to make that life or death decision now. Gloria would give herself time to figure out if that other side of him was real, or if it was just an act of survival. If he was only manipulating her. 

She would decide, but not now.

She watched as he gently smiled and held his hand out to her.

She took it.