Falling Into . . . the Cracks?

Hartley's brother brings home a totally gorgeous guy who has the hots for her---but Hartley is dating someone already. Can she handle school, her three siblings, and two boys that are absolutely in love with her?

Hartley's Point of View

Hartley Hammond tucked a strand of golden blond hair behind her ear and bit her pale pink lip in concentration. Beneath her jean-clad butt, the prickly grass danced as the wind whistled through it. It was brisk outside, almost to cold for Hartley's taste, but the sun was setting which made the sky a brilliant orange. The sight was enjoyable enough to make her stay. Hartley watched attentively as her little sisters, Lennox and Clair, ages two and four, sommersaulted around without a care in the world. Hartley wished she could live her own life so carelessly. After all, who could be calm when your parents were never there, you're brother was addicted to drugs and alcohol, and you had to take care of your younger sisters? Lennox chased after Clair, her pink skirt flowing softly in the chilling air. Clair giggled, stumbling on the small hill and tumbling down it lightly. She was giggling, as if life was just a game. Hartley clenched her fists as a black Subaru pulled up to the curb, loud music blaring.

"Haaaaartyleeeeey," Chace cooed, climbing out of the passenger seat. "Guess what, sis?" His eyes were rimmed with red and he seemed to be walking on air. "Guess! Guess!" Chace tripped over the sidewalk and stopped himself from hitting the concrete by flailing his arms wildly. Hartley raised her eyebrows when the SUV didn't drive away. Instead, its drive turned off the ignition. "Hey, I'm hungry," He told her and laughed as if this was the funniest thing in the world. Chace clutched his stomach with one hand and scratched his jaw as if thinking about something serious. "Oh yeah, sis, Rob is going to be staying with us," Chace exclaimed, as if just remembering his important news.

Hartley narrowed her blue eyes at him. She was eighteen, he was twenty-two. Yet, she felt as if she was million years older than him, especially in times like this. "Chace Daniel Hammond. How many times have I told you that your druggie friends CANNOT come over?!" Hartley hissed through her teeth, not wanting to distrub Lennox and Clair, who were at the bottom of the miniscule hill now, throwing grass at each other. Chace's smiled grew wider than the Cheshire Cat's and his eyelids drooped into his baby blues. Hartley glared at him, feeling more like his mother than his sister. "Chace!"

"Excuse me?" A deep voice said lightly. "Am I the druggie you were referring to?" The voice came from the Subaru's trunk, where a tall guy was heaving a striped Nike duffel bag over his broad right shoulder. He slammed the trunk shut with a sharp boom and eyed Hartley. "I'll assure you I'm less of a druggie and more of a businessman really," He laughed lightly, trying to calm the tension that hung in the air apparently.

"Who are you?" Hartley inquired, rising to her feet. Her voice sounded harsher than she meant it to be. She tugged the hem of her little-girl-pink tee down so that it covered the taut stretch of her stomach that it had peeled off of. "Sorry, I mean, what's your name," Hartley probed, trying not to scan his muscular frame or gaze into his emerald green eyes. He was absolutely gorgeous. . . from his hip-hugging dark blue jeans that clung to him like a life preserver or his plain white tee. He had hair the color of soot that flared slightly at the tips and stubble smattered on his cheeks and chin. He had a lovely tan complexion and a beautiful white smile. Hartley, eyed her brother, who looked slightly lost, like a small child in a department store.

The guy--or the man rather--waved one hand in greeting. He was rather taller than Chace---who stood at exactly six feet tall. "Robert McCarthy. Rob, really," Rob offered, taking leggy strides to come over to them. He held out his hand and Hartley shook it lightly. "And you are?"

Hartley glanced at Lennox and Clair, who were tumbling over each other. "Hartley Hammond. Chace's younger sister. How do you know my brother anyway?" Hartley asked, eying him critically. Not many normal looking people knew her brother. She could still feel the electricity that had surged from his hand to hers.

"We graduated together. Old friends really and I'm back in town, visiting a few relatives. I thought staying with Chace would be easier than bunking with my odd family. But if I'm a disturbance. . . I can leave," Rob said easily, shooting her a million watt smile. Hartley grimaced, knowing what she would say next.

"You can stay, it's fine," She bit her lip, wishing she didn't like him so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and vote <3

Hope you liked it! New chapter out soon!