Chapter Two

Light was filtering through her curtains as Rosalyn woke up. Peeking outside, she could see the sun had just risen and only a few ranch hands were bustling about for the early morning feedings. Pulling on her clothes and duster, she shoved her feet into her work boots and headed out the door.

            "Hey, Rosalyn! You ready to start training?" Mara stood off to her left as if she had been waiting for her. Riding boots covered fawn colored breeches and a dark brown, riding blazer exposed a ruffled, white shirt. She stood holding a velvet riding helmet under her arm and a smirk on her face. Her green eyes sparkled and her short, dark hair was teased by the slight breeze.

               "Uh, yes. Though I feel a bit underdressed." She looked down at her own ensemble of her jean top and bottoms underneath her brown duster. Her scuffed up, brown work boots were heavenly to wear and provided the support she needed whether she was working on the ground or on the back of a horse.

              Mara's tinkling laughter was her only response before she came and looped her arms through Rosalyn's. "Come on, I think we are going to be great friends."

          Rosalyn let herself be dragged to the riding pens where some of the geldings were already milling about after their feedings. She listened to Mara in detail about each horse and was impressed at her memory skills. Mara had taken over training of the geldings in addition to the studs she prepped for breeding and showing. The stallions were well known for their even temperaments and heeded easily during mating season. Mara had a way with connecting to the horses; placing herself at a mental and respectful level with each of them. Rosalyn understood that and felt more at home than she had in a long time.
             "Wow, Mara. I can see why you are so good at what you do with these horses. Thank you so much for showing me." Rosalyn stroked her hand lightly over the gelding's  glistening, black neck beneath her as they rode side by side. Mara was enjoying the spirited young stallion who tossed his head and attempted to side step underneath her. Neither woman carried a whip nor needed the prodding boot spurs to communicate with their horses.
                  "Your welcome. I am happy you found us and will continue with our way of training. We aren't the type to beat our horses into submission or break their spirits. Precious gifts surround us everyday and too many take them for granted." Mara clucked gently to the stallion and encouraged a change of pace as they loped across the rolling, green hills. Rosalyn couldn't agree more and encouraged her own horse to follow.
             Cresting another hill, Rosalyn stopped her horse short as she took in the valley below. There was a large herd of horses frolicking and grazing, their black coats shining in the afternoon sun.

           "That is Mr. Bellingraves personal herd. We check in from time to time, but they are free range and are only brought in when sick or for breeding," Mara spoke as she brought her horse over to Rosalyn's.

           "It's truly amazing what he does for his horses. Are we allowed to get closer?" Rosalyn kept her gaze on the herd as she waited for Mara's response.

           "Come, follow me." Mara urged her stallion down the winding slope as Rosalyn followed, excited to see more of the Nivernais horses.

          A few whinnies were the only disturbance as they stopped at the edge of the herd. Some of the closer horses looked over at them before turning their noses back to the ground. To think the breed had once been on the brink of extinction; seeing all the dark beauties in front of her now gave one so much hope.

             Leaving the wild herd, they made their way back to the barns and started grooming the horses.

            "So how long have you worked for Mr. Bellingraves?" Rosalyn was curious about Mara and what had brought her to the secluded ranch.