Chapter 2: Home Again

[Satsuki]

By the time the sun has extinguished, I am seated in a sleek plane, listening to the amplifying roar of engines propelling the plane toward the fluffy, opalescent clouds cluttering the evening sky up ahead. I clutch the armrest tightly as the momentum pushes me gently against the cushioned seat, already battered with deep fingernail dents and juice-box stains from previous first-time flyers.

I crane my neck towards the sunlit window, watching in awe as the once discernible terrain transforms into a smear of earthy hues. The panorama of land illustrates the deep contours of the landscape, rising and falling like each harmonious breath of the waking earth. I have only moments to take in the sight of colossal mountains and the glowing ambiance of bustling cities before they are left behind, whisked away by the whistling wind.

Tonight.

Tonight I will fly home, and spend a few days with my family before the memorial service. Tonight, I will return to the exact place I had so desperately tried to escape, to the place that had been so twisted and unfair that I had been left with no option but to leave.

After I had gathered enough courage to call my dad, he told me that he had just been informed of Granny's passing himself. It had happened recently, he consoled, and her passing was still a mystery to many. He even confessed that he had yet to break the news to Mei, knowing she would be particularly struck by yet another loss.

I crack a smile at the thought of my little sister, excited for the opportunity to see her again. A few years have passed since I saw her last, and I already know her mischievous demeanour has not changed in the slightest. My dad was on his way to the University when I had called, so we did not talk for nearly as long as I would have liked. I didn't end up asking anymore questions, but I figured I would have plenty of time to do so later.

The next few hours pass by in a blur, as anxiety and dread churn and simmer in my gut. The flight seems to reach a state of complete boredom after the first hour, as the conversations blatantly diminish, wailing babies finally crash, and the packages of salted peanuts are devoured. All around me, people flip through the provided magazines, interrupted by the occasional, "Are we there yet?" from a squirming toddler. Even the flight attendants struggle to stay peppy, filing their manicured nails with evident fatigue.

Finally, the plane touches down just outside of my home city, and I am swept up in the masses. I dodge tattered suitcases and small, spoiled dogs peering out of their owner's purses. I sigh in relief when I finally reach the taxi, glad to finally have escaped the overbearing crowds and general airport chaos.

My polished, unmistakable taxi stands out against the backdrop of my small farming city, where the primary form of transportation is rusty farm equipment, if not a battered bike. Its tires whine against the gravel as the taxi pulls up on the side of the road. I hastily thank the driver and scoop up my bags, finally setting my feet down on the rich earth I had once called my home.

My old house sits amidst the thick foliage of the woods. I can't help but beam, reminded of the wonder and excitement of my childhood. The house is a typical Japanese-styled home, complete with a book lined study, classic living room, old fire-heated Goemon bathtub, and what seems to be an endless backyard. I quicken my pace, eager to familiarize myself with the rugged terrain once more.

As I ramble forward, I see my diligent Dad, nose buried in a thick Archaeology textbook. He catches a glimpse of me and grins, stepping outside.

"Satsuki!" He swoops me into a bear hug, squeezing me so tight I let out a fit of giggles.

"My girl is so grown up!" He gushes, sliding open the panelled door for me so I can place my bags inside. "You have to start visiting more often, Satsuki! I feel like I haven't seen you in ages."

I flash him a sympathetic smile. "I'll work on it Dad. You do realize I don't live within walking distance though, right?"

He chuckles, placing a supportive hand on my shoulder. "Then you'll just have to move back in, won't you?"

I shake my head, laughing. I know my Dad is just joking, but I can also sense there is some part of him that's completely serious.

"Where has Mei gotten to?" I ask, avidly changing the subject.

My dad pauses, scratching his head. "Good question. Last time I checked she was doing some biology assignment in the kitchen..." he trails off, gesturing to the abandoned stack of textbooks and schoolwork on the kitchen counter.

"You've got to be kidding me dad. How many times has Mei wandered off while you weren't looking? She needs constant supervision!" I playfully nudge my Dad, teasing.

"INCOMING!"

A water balloon whizzes past my ear, barely brushing the side of my face before colliding with the wall.

"Mei!" My dad hollers, shaking his head in disbelief. Though tries to suppress it, a smile plays on his lips, threatening to give away his disapproving father act. 

"Oops. Looks like I missed." Mei shrugs, grinning playfully in my direction. 

She slips into the hallway next to me, and wraps me into quick hug.

"Welcome home dork!" Mei beams, before leaning into my ear. "Next time I won't miss, so I would watch out if I were you."

I can't help but laugh when she winks at me. Same old mischievous Mei. I'm glad to see nothing has changed since I left.

"I thought I had made it clear that water balloons were banned from this household." My dad grumbles to my left, picking up the soggy remnants of the plastic ballon on the floor.  

I steer Mei back into the kitchen, sitting down with her as she hastily finishes her homework. She quickly catches me up on the latest occurrences in our small town, though I already know mostly everything. While I haven't been back for a few years, I still kept contact with Mei and my dad over the phone so I wouldn't be completely cut off from my family. Nevertheless, sitting at home in our familiar kitchen, listening to the soft melody played by the wind-chimes hung by the kitchen window, I suddenly realize just how homesick I've been. I take a big breath in, reminding myself that I'm finally here, finally home. 

"I'm sorry girls, but I'm going to have to head out to the University." My dad calls from the front door, pulling on a light jacket. He shoots Mei a look. "I'm going to be late for work thanks to the spill I just cleaned up."

"Sorry dad. It won't happen again." Mei reassures, waving goodbye. 

As soon as he is out of range, she whispers, "At least not in the house." 

I roll my eyes, but crack a smile anyway. 

I catch up with my dad as he leaves the tunnel of trees leading up to our house. Considering Mei hadn't gotten any of her homework done this afternoon, I knew she would be occupied for at least a few hours. I had therefore decided to head out, eager to make the most of the short time I had here. In my pocket, I could feel the outline of the mysterious letter I had received, weighing down my every step. 

"What's the plan for today?" My dad implores, keeping a brisk pace in order to make it to the bus stop in time. 

"I think I'm going to visit the Ogaki family. I want to let them know I'll be attending Granny's funeral."

My dad nods. "Please send my condolences as well. I know the harvest this year hasn't been too good, so Granny's passing is weighing even heavier on their family."

"Of course. I'll see you later tonight."

Our paths diverge as I head towards the Ogaki home, and I steel myself for what lays before me. There is still so much I don't understand, and I can only hope the road ahead will offer me some answers.