blackberry molasses

[play the song while reading so you can get in your feels :)]

May 15, 1996

"We're finally about to graduate Mykah!" My best friend of 12 years, Leigh exclaimed. A huge grin formed across my face as I thought about me in my cap and gown, walking across the big stage and finally getting my diploma. Only 10 days left. I pictured my mother screaming my name as long as a few aunts and uncles. I even seen my father there, waving at me from afar.

"I know, I honestly can't wait. Just a few more months and we're off to college baby." She grabbed my hand and bought it up to her lips, kissing it softly. She smiled at me and I smiled back. Walking hand and hand towards the bus doors, I peeped my boyfriend waiting for me. He was talking to one of the football players, laughing and horsing around. Walking through the students I ran up to him and gave him the biggest hug possible. He was gone the whole week for basketball camp and today was his first day back. He wrapped his arm around my slim waist and attacked me with kisses.

"Stoppp." I giggled as he placed his head in the crook of my neck, pecking it softly.

"Damn girl, I missed yo' fine ass." I playfully rolled my eyes and stepped back to look at him thoroughly. If you really missed me you would've picked up the phone and called me." He smacked his lips and pulled me close to him. He kissed my lips and hugged me tightly.

"Come on Mykah, we gotta go." I heard Leigh call my name. I caught Niko making a stank face at her and I pushed his chest playfully.

"Don't make that face at my girl."

"She need to chill out." He rolled his eyes and gripped onto my waist tighter. "Why don't you ditch the lesbian and come kick it with a real nigga." He said into my ear.

"Bye Niko, you so rude." I pushed him off of me and picked up my bag that I had dropped when I ran up to him. "I'm serious." He stale faced me.

I rolled my eyes and waved him off. "I'll call you later boo." I blew him a kiss and walked out the double doors with Leigh.

"Took you long enough." Leigh said as we walked to her car, a cherry red 1990 Chevy Equinox. Her mother had bought it for her before she died.

"Oh hush!" I ruffled her hair playfully and she swatted my hair away. "Yo! Watch the dreads Mykah."

"Girl bye." She had unlocked her car doors with her key and let me in on the passengers seat. Starting up the car, we pulled out of Marcus Garvey College Prep's student parking lot and was headed towards the Main Street. Whenever Leigh drove she always drove with no music and it was odd. She loved her peace and quiet and maybe that's why I liked her more than I should have.

Stealing occasionally glances at her, I noticed how her neat dreads blew in the wind as she did 65 on a 45 lane. Her purple tinted lips were plump and heart shaped as she tucked them between her bottom teeth. Her eyes were round like almonds and changed colors during the season. As of right now, they were green with little specks of gray in them. Her dimples were deep and her silver nose ring matched the gray in her eyes. Leigh was absolutely stunning and I was absolutely jealous.

"What you lookin' at girl?" She glanced at me and I blushed. "I can't admire my bestfriend?" I asked innocently and she let out a chuckle. She patted my thigh gently but didn't move her hand.