Chapter 13

When we got the sign from Tej, that's when we really took off. He let us know how close they were.

"Guys and girls you better hurry up, they just took the convoy and Dom . . . Letty's with them." Tej said.

"Okay, that means it's on. Get your head in the game, Penny." I muttered to myself.

"We stick to the plan." my brother said.

"Let's do this, boys!" Kaylee added for extra enthusiasm.

"Alright, you heard the man. Let's play this fast and clean, that thing's heading your way." Tej said.

"Everyone be careful please, this guy likes his surprises." I reminded them.

"Uh yeah, you know, just to quickly prove Penny's point, we gotta come up with another plan." Tej nervously said.

"Parker, what are you talking about?" What's going on babe?" Kaylee asked her mom.

"Yeah, um . . . they got a tank." he replied.

"Excuse me?" I said.

"You said what now?" Kay asked him.

"I'm sorry, did somebody say "a tank"?" Roman asked no one in particular.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me." I told the team.

"Well this certainly makes things interesting." Kay said.

"Here we go, boys." I said, stepping on the gas.

Shaw quickly realized he was no longer alone and wasted no time in launching his first attack against us. We are on the opposite side of the highway but I noticed when the hatch turned our way and before I could warn my team Shaw took his first shot. Thankfully none of us were hurt but I can't say the same for the cars in front of us. There were some flips, some blow-ups, and a few tipsies too.

"Sorry about that, people." I muttered as I drove by the affected cars.

"So . . . uh, who's got a plan b?" Roman asked.

"Plan B? Plan B? We need a plan C, D, E! We need more alphabets!" Tej shouted, panicking just a teeny, tiny bit.

"Calm your tits, Tej." I told him.

"Hey! We do what we do best okay. We improvise alright?" Brian said, trying to reassure his friend.

"Yeah, cause when do any of our plans really work?" I pointed out.

"What they said, let's take care of this." Kay added.

Dom found somewhere to turn and all of us quickly followed suit. We ate up as much of the highway as possible to reach the tank and as soon as we did he hit us with another curveball. Without the slightest care in the world, the tank moved to the opposite side of the highway. Shaw was running over innocent people and that's not part of the plan.

Kaylee was behind us but closest to the opening that Shaw caused so she took advantage and followed. People were abandoning their cars and running away to safer areas, smart move. I know that Shaw is goal oriented but I never thought he would be capable of such senseless murder.

"Dom . . ." Kaylee said.

"Take their attention away from the people." he shouted.

I looked across the highway at my best friend, she looked over at me and nodded before accelerating. Panic was starting to rear its ugly head but I pushed it away. There has to be an opening somewhere, she's gonna be fine.

The next few seconds felt like the passes in extreme slow motion. I watched in horror as my best friend pulled up in front of the tank. The gun lowered its position to aim at her car and Shaw took his second shot. Kay hit her brakes to avoid the blast but the tank's tracks hooked onto her car.