Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Wow," she says quietly. "Does it get overwhelming? In your head?"

"Not at all. I can function properly with both mindsets, and controlling my temper from my Fenomus gene is quite simple."

"Your Fenomus has a temper?"

"Oh, yes," Draco leans forward and rubs a hand down his face. "A terrible one. My Fenomus is directly connected to fire, it finds comfort in it. So when I cannot handle it anymore, the Fenomus is...unleashed."

"Remind me to not upset you," Hermione mumbles.

The blond laughs. "Oh, believe me. It would take a lot for the Fenomus to come out. Very rare, the occurrence."

"Has it ever happened," Hermione questions with wide eyes, scooting to the edge of her seat.

It's silent for a moment, and Hermione stares at Draco as he's lost in thought, looking at the pattern on his duvet. "Once," he says quietly.

"Do you remember it?"

"Every detail," he says, his voice low and regretful. "I do not wish to."

"Why? Did you hurt someone?"

"Yes."

"Someone close to you?"

"Yes," Draco's voice wavers.

"Draco..."

"I am fine," he says quickly.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I would rather not, if you do not mind."

"Not at all, no."

"Talk to me," Draco says. He leans back into his pillows. "Tell me about your makeover with Blaise."

"Oh!" Hermione's eyes light up considerably, lifting the shadows of the room with them. "He gave me half of his makeup collection, from Seraphiq. Quite entertaining, makeup is, so many things to play with. Especially lipgloss! I love lipgloss."

The Slytherin laughs. "Yes, I quite see that."

"He's very talented," Hermione says sheepishly, patting her cheek.

"Very," Draco hums. "It has been his dream for a very long while."

"To be a stylist?"

"To make people feel good about themselves. You will find he is very good at it."

"How exciting. I'm glad he already has the confidence to execute his future at such an early age."

The blond frowns at her. "What do you mean? Do you not have your future planned out for you?"

"Well, I know I want to work in the Ministry, making things right, the way they should be. But I don't know exactly where to start."

"But all the N.E.W.T.'s you have taken every year, they have not been for a specific career path?"

"Not really, no," Hermione shakes her head with an abashed grin. "All those that I've taken are to cover as much ground as possible. And since I've aced all of them so far, I have an opportunity in...every field."

"What seems to be the issue, then?"

"There's just so much to do," she exclaims at the ceiling. "And I want to do all of it. I just don't know where to start."

"When you think about our world, today, what is the first thing that calls to you?"

"Equality within magical creatures," she says, not missing a beat. "Especially house elf law, that is one I cannot get above. Poor things are treated so poorly because of one contract made at the beginning of time."